Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook sharpness Gold or Bronze

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook sharpness Gold or Bronze

Which is sharper, Gold or Bronze does the plating of gold give a duller point?? I say Bronze?? What do you think

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Who can afford gold plated hooks ???

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    Which is sharper, Gold or Bronze does the plating of gold give a duller point?? I say Bronze?? What do you think
    Now I know why your user name is Rocket "Rich" :p

Seriously, though ... I think it has more to do with hook brand/style than with color. And I also don't think needle sharpness is necessarily needed on a fishing hook (for Crappie, that is) ... I've used rusted hooks, bent hooks, dull hooks, etc. and still stuck them in the fish. One would be surprised at how much psi force is generated on hookset ... even using 4lb test line and a UL. Couple that with, even a blunted hook, against the inside of a fish's mouth (let alone the soft tissue of the lips) and you would wonder why we don't always rip a hole in them :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with crappiepappy in that crappie hooks don't really need to be that sharp but always carry a small file to touch up a hook that doesn't seem sharp enough.

Post Thanks / Like

If you follow the golden rule of checking hook sharpness against your fingernail, it's never a problem cause you'll know you need to file it sharp. Doesn't matter to me what style of brand of hook, if it dosn't stick in the nail it gets sharpened.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

well said, My fellow fishing friends. But???? which is better in your opinion?????? and it does matter??? opinions that is.....

Post Thanks / Like

Never have noticed any difference between gold or bronze as far as fish catching ability. The gold plated hooks seem a little softer, easier to pull free when hung up. I have noticed a difference between the cheap hooks and the more expensive premium as far as the hook being sharper out of the box, still don't think the crappie care one way or the other. You can add red hooks in there to, all they are is gold hooks painted red. My 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some oldtime crappie fishermen that wont use anything but gold hooks. Sharp or not. Personally I like a red hook. I have a diamond stick that I have had for 25 years that keeps my hooks sharp. They do get dull.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I try and use the gold.

Post Thanks / Like

i like the bronze they are always really shard most of the time
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Red sickle;;;;;
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast