Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: No crappie but nice fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default No crappie but nice fish

I hit Lake Ontario for King Salmon this past Thursday and Friday. Weather wasn't very cooperative, but my brother and I managed to get a few hours fishing each morning. We got 3 in the boat Friday and put one back as it was foul hooked, a fourth took my dipsy and J plug to parts unknown. Saturday we boated 3, I hope the picture shows up. All the fish boated were taken on dodgers and flies 60 feet down over 80 feet of water. We were 3 miles off the mouth of the Salmon river. Lots of fun to catch, but they taste like s**t, if you ask me, and make a slimey stinking mess of the boat! Next Sunday the wife and I are off for a week of crappie fishing!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking fish, good looking boat too. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Shellback
    Nice fish! We fished Lake Mich. for 15 years around the Honor Mich. area.. Always the last 2 weeks of Sept. We fished down riggers and the same baits that you were using. Our best year was 101..

We caught mostly Coho with a few Kings mixed in. They do make a mess, but a couple of blows to the head will quiten them down in a hurry and not make to much of a mess. We fished a 14' jon boat and a 20 hp Merc. We had to really watch the weather.

We really enjoyed the fish and fixed them just about anyway you can think of. We even carried out canner and had canned salmon all year along with the frozen fresh salmon.

I enjoyed the Friday night Smelt fry that the cafes would have in that area. I miss the smelt. I can't find them down south in any of the stores here.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lovin that Smoker Craft boat, it's only a 16 footer but has a 81 inch beam, which makes it more fishable. That 50 HP Honda's a sweet motor, used 3.8 gallons of gas in the 9 hours we fished. Although it was mostly trolling, it's still easy on the pocket book. I sold a 22 footer a year and a half ago and bought this one. With the price of gas today, the lighter load towing and the Honda motor, it helps out quite a bit. I do miss having a glass boat though.