Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Casting jigs?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting jigs?

I know many of you cast jigs and I do too. But I always use them with a small spinner. (like a beetle spin). Do you use spinners with them or just the jig?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I know many of you cast jigs and I do too. But I always use them with a small spinner. (like a beetle spin). Do you use spinners with them or just the jig?
    90% of the time I use 1/32 jig with tube,grub or other plastic bait....No spinner,no minner.---lol

Thanks for the Kerr website Bill
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Well IBN ...

I cast jigs 95% of the time ... only occasionally adding a minnow (maybe 1% of the time). But, when I want the "flash" of a spinner blade ... I go to my box and get out the Roadrunners ... :D
    That's not to say I don't have "spinners" to add on, ponyhead jigheads w/spinnerblades, Beetlespins, and such ... it's just that I am usually throwing my baits around some pretty snaggy places. And with the dead slow retrieve, that I use when casting jigs, a spinnerblade doesn't function like it's intended to do ... and they aren't weedless enough, for me.
    Now, if the fish are relatively shallow, and the cover is sparse and visable enough to avoid ... then a Beetlespin (or facsimile), in-line spinner (like a Roostertail), or the like, will certainly be a choice. But, for the "spinnerbait" style baits (Beetlespin types) ... the fish would have to want a very slow retrieve. For a faster retrieve ... I'd go with a Roadrunner. And for a mod to fast retrieve ... then I'd consider the in-line style (Roostertail types).

Guess that puts me in the "just the jig" catagory ... for the most part. ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I cast jigs alone if they have bodies with some action. I do well with jigs with little twisty tail rubber bodies. My favorite is the Cajun Critter from BPS:

In less than clear water, or with bodies with little action, I'll use a spinner attachement.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

I thought casting jigs was the only way to catch crappie lol. Just a plain leadhead 1/16 oz and a tube jig. Served me well for years. Like I said though, I'm gonna learn to troll and spider rig, and when I do, watch out.

Post Thanks / Like

Two inch Translucent grub with red and black specks in it on 1/16 firetiger lead head jig. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

i always catch them fishing with jigs with a small float, fishing near the surface (about 18-24 inches) casting away and jigging back to the boat. I only had real good luck years ago fishing more than 3 feet deep.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I Too use jigs 95% of the time!! I use plain leadheads with tube bodys. When I want "flash" I usually use Charlie Brewer Whirley Bees.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com