Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: explain fishing line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default explain fishing line?

Hi all, I am fairly new to fishing, but I need information on line. I have been reading about stretching line...is that good or bad......memory on line....good or bad?

I am also having problems casting my 6# test line on an ultra light spinning reel. The line goes everywhere and cannot cast with any kind of wind? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks! Patti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peke View Post
    I have been reading about stretching line...is that good or bad......memory on line....good or bad?

Mono has a good bit of stretch. Braid has almost none. Stretch is kind of a built-in "shock absorber". This can be helpful if you're fighting a big fish near the breaking limit of the line. Line with little or no stretch transmits bites better. I generally use mono but use braid for certain situations.

Memory is bad. It means the line wants to retain the shape of the spool, so it will come off in coils when casting. Limp lines are better.

I am also having problems casting my 6# test line on an ultra light spinning reel. The line goes everywhere and cannot cast with any kind of wind? What am I doing wrong?

Could be a lot of things: cheap line, cheap reel, reel too small, line too big. It also sounds like you may have too much line on the spool. Can you give us more details?

Post Thanks / Like

Stretch = not as quick to break...a little give. No stretch = easier to feel when you get a bite, but breaks. Did I understand right?

Pflueger #6725 spinning reel...supposed to hold 180/2 lbs, 115/4 lbs , and 80/6 lbs. (yards). Don't know what kind of line it was, just 6 lb. When I would cast into my pond, the lure would go where I wanted it, but the line would "sail" with the wind. It kept ending up in the pasture or tangled up. I don't know how much line is on the reel, but it doesn't look like too much.
    Thanks
    Patti

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like to much line on the spool. keep the line 1/8th of an inch from the lip (end) of the spool when putting line on.
    As far as casting distance it depends on the size of the lure and or if you are using a hook and bait than you need to have a weight above the hook on the line.
    If you are using an ultra light than the larger the line the less your distance will be that you can cast. I use #4 line on my ultra lights. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Stretch = not as quick to break...a little give.

Right!

No stretch = easier to feel when you get a bite, but breaks. Did I understand right?

Not quite. All line will break. Also, braid is much stronger than mono of the same diameter. For example, you can buy "10/2" Power Pro braid. That means it breaks at around 10# test, but it's the same diameter as 2# mono.

Post Thanks / Like

could be old line! I fish often and change lines after 3 or 4 trips. Use stren mono and helps avoid tangles. also reel spray can help reduce memory. Good luck!

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Patti, I would first follow the advise of making sure that the spooled line is about 1/8" below the lip of the spool. Then I would put on a casting plug or a weigh of around 3/8 to 1/2 ounce on it and cast with it. See what it will do with the heaver weight. If all works good bring down the size of the weight to 1/4 oz. or so and try again. Then repeat with a lighter weight still. You will find the point where more effort will not mean more distance. If you cannot achieve what you want with the lightest weight your next step is lighter and better line. Good luck because there are a thousands varieties and a thousand opinions about them. You'll have to experiment until you find something that fits you and your needs. Just remember more dollars doesn't necessarily mean better line. And with all lines there is usually some compromise, none are perfect.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unruly line

Sounds to me as if the line was wound on the spool backwards.
    This commonly happens with newbies as well as inexperienced
    tackleshop employees. The spool should have an indicator(arrow)
    showing which direction to wind the line. Most are wound counter-
    clockwise, but there are also some that are clockwise.
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to reed the instructions on the back of the package. They give explicit instructions on how to. It is critical.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foul hook View Post
    You might want to reed the instructions on the back of the package. They give explicit instructions on how to. It is critical.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast