Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: changing colors

Post Thanks / Like

Default changing colors

How often do you guys change up the colors/lures to see what they're biting on? If they're not biting at all, that's when it gets real bad & I have tubes all over the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carcrz View Post
    How often do you guys change up the colors/lures to see what they're biting on? If they're not biting at all, that's when it gets real bad & I have tubes all over the boat.
    I have my "go to" colors during tough times, and tend to experiment with many colors and combinations of colors when they are biting good, this is the best way to find good combinations. This is something that I have been doing only for the past year or so, and have found many colors that work in different color water, it gives me good confidence in colors I may not normally use when the bite does get tough

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread. I find myself changing up a lot, even when the bite is on, to try different stuff. This gives me confidence in the baits I carry. I fish tubes (both solid and hollow bodied), curly tails (2") and my all-time favorite, marabou jigs. (I've never had to resort to live bait - yet!) Seems like when they are "on" the bite, it really doesn't matter what you present. I've also noticed that when they suddenly go "off" the bite, a subtle change in color or lure style can get them back on again. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell by my tackle box when I get home if it was a good day or bad one. If I have lots of different colored jigs spread all over, bad day. On a good day I don't change color hardly at all.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty stubborn. I have basically four colors that I have confidence in. If they won't bite those, I'll usually just tip 'em with a minnow!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    You can tell by my tackle box when I get home if it was a good day or bad one. If I have lots of different colored jigs spread all over, bad day. On a good day I don't change color hardly at all.
    Same here.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Locate with depth finder and use standard colors. I fish tubes only never have used live minnows its against the law here in Idaho. Change colors yellow and white is a good color now because water color has changed. White tube is good and chartruse is good. I like also red and white. It really depends on water clarity. High water is a little murky but great fishing. Will be leaving tomorrow for a week of fishing in northern Idaho not for crappie. Will fish for crappie when I get home and post my catch if any.
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 07-02-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use that many colors anymore. I usually start with black/chartreuse before the sun comes up. Once the sun gets on the water (slightly stained water) it seems pink/white, blue/white, yellow/white are my go to color for the last few years.

If the water is really clear it seems subdued colors (pumpkinseed, watermellon red) will produce the most crappie.

In water with more stain it seems pink/chartreuse, red/chartreuse, or blue/chartreuse are good colors.