Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Different baits for different areas?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Different baits for different areas?

Crappie are the same fish all over America.
    But is it possible that the fish in some areas, seem to like some different artificial better than the artificials in another area?

I know they all eat live bait. That live meat is probably the overall best bait going.
    But I dont like fooling with them.:o

I've never found anything here that works well. I'm just wondering what I might be missing in the way of artificials?

It's 102 degrees out right now, but I might go put in the small lake and row around some, this evening.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Match the hatch! Is what fly fishers say. The same holds true for crappies. If your using an artificial use one the matches what the crappie are feeding on. Some parts of the country they will feed on shad. My lake has shad but they are the same size as most of the crappies (8 inches and larger). Another lake has some small shiners from lake Erie and that is the preferred bait size. I don't care what part of the country your in a small 2 or 3 iinch curly tail will catch fish. Any small hard bait will work if it has the same coloration of the bait fish in the lake or pond your fishing in.

I get a kick out of the sizes of hooks and jig heads that the people down south use. Where I fish it's small and diminative baits. 3 inch baits are the biggest I use and no. 6 or 8 hooks are for live bait, a 1/8 jig head is as big as I go, usually 1/32 or1/64. Tailor your bait size and color to what you see in the water and you will be find.

By the way my sister in law lives in Cullman on the outskirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Emial her and tell her I need help!
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D