Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Time Crappie Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Time Crappie Question

Yes, I have searched on this forum and I have learned a great deal but I have one big lingering question: What are the places that are best for the night time crappie fishing with lights? I have both the floating white and submersible green lights. I want to use strictly jigs and feel confident that I could do fine if I could find out what type of locations you guys look for. I will be fishing the area of KY Lake south of Eggner Ferry Bridge all the way down to Blood River. I have only tried it once or twice with very little luck. Could some of you guys help a newbie out?
    "Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids."

Mike Epperson

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the same places at night that I catch crappie while day fishing. Just back off to 25 to 30' depth. I set up where there is a clear bottom. Watch your DF to see how deep the bait is and fish a little below the bait. As for as using strictly jigs on a nightstalk!! good luck. If you are just starting to fish at night might want to learn how with minnows and then try jigs. Just trying to help you get started catching crappie at night.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

His advice is right on, I'm die hard jig, but at night you gotta have minnows to keep the bite going........but I'm trying out some glow-in-the dark heads to see if those will turn e'm on any better. Good fishin!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

i'm in GA. and fish lake lanier. i use the green lights but i fish on brush piles and under bridges. i use both jigs and minnows. i like to use jigs. mainly microspoons, but sometimes the crappie want both. i do have good luck with just the jigs, but i like to use a bright color, chartruse, yellow, white, anything bright seems to work good. hope this helps. good luck!
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. How are you keeping minows alive during the hot weather at night?

Mike Epperson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mepperson View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. How are you keeping minows alive during the hot weather at night?
    Just put them in something you usually would, but every once in a while put a little ice in with them to cool the water some. Helps a lot.

I like being over or on the bank of a creek best with brush piles, but have tied up over or across a creek before and done well without any brush pile. Oh one thing I forgot to say is I fish Toledo Bend and this lake was national Forrest before it was flooded so lots of tree and stumps here.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

chucky is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mepperson View Post
    First get a 5 gal bucket. Then go to walmart or bps and get " quite bubbles " with a livewell top combo. We can keep up to two lbs of minners alive for a couple of days. Change the water every 13-14 hrs. If you use tap water be sure to add some minnow saver to remove all the chemicals. It takes two D-batteries and will run non stop for 11/2-2 days.

Bubbles Livewell Top Combo Pak

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies, I'll probably go out toward the end of the week and see how things go. I appreciate the advice and will post how things go. I'm still unsure exactly where I'll fish, I've not really slayed the crappie during the spring so my "usual" places might not be so good now either.

Mike Epperson

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Try watching your DF while slowly motoring around the place you want to fish, if you see any bait balls in any coves you check it should be a good starting point. I like to check drop offs close to 25' depths. Lot of times you will find bait holding on the deep side of the drop off. If so move away from the ledge 10 yards or so and set up for the night. Your lights will pull the bait to you. Good luck!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stump Hunter, that was some info that I was looking for. Does anyone know if they lock the gates late at night down at Wildcat on Blood River?

Mike Epperson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast