Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod holder placement, trial/error, pics

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod holder placement, trial/error, pics

Recently got some T-bar type rod holders for trolling and tight-lineing. Since this stuff is new to me and I hate drilling holes in the boat, I screwed together a framework of 5/4 boards on the front deck (frame just lays on deck. Not screwed down). This way, I have mounted the bases to the framework for testing. Had the guys at work, make me some extra bases. Got some fishing to do to figure out where the bases should be placed permanently. How do you guys have yours?

Gotta get ready for the Nov. 12th Crappie Bash (see VA board).

Have a catfish tournament this evening. Then have to get ready for our Archery opener on Oct. 1. Life is busy. Anyone want to borrow 2 kids for the next couple of months (2 and 4 years)?!?! :p

Dayton

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ranger i made pole holders like the pvs you have .i longated the rod but end part works a lot better . here is a pick.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I like your idea with the boards. You have one rod holder directly in the front. It looks as if you may also have mounts in each corner where the boards join. I have mine rigged so that I can fish eight rods in the front. Stowing the minn kota was a problem so I angled the bar to match the trolling motor stowed angle and mounted the base so that the motor would barely clear the rod holders when deploying or stowing. I angle the rod holders themselves toward the front. Mounted in this way I can fish eight rods toward the front. I also have enough room between the stands to step to the front without stepping over the stands.

In regards to the side mounts. If that is for side pulling you may want to consider mounting them so you can sit with your back to the front of the boat. I sit on the front deck with my back to the front and let the auto pilot do the work.I have a depthfinder mounted to be viewed that way. I believe you have a mount for a seat in the floor, that may be a better place to sit. I modified some driftmaster holders and have them mounted on the top of the gunwale ( maybe thats what you call the top of the boat on the side). They are removeable so that only star holders are there when not in use.
    I also two 4 bar drift masters, one each behind the driver and passenger seat that I can reach from that reverse position. That allows me to pull 16 rods, which I rarely do, but it allows me 16 positions for how many ever rods I can handle.

My optimum set up would be two drift master pro, 4 rod setups with modified poles. Ahigher set front and a shorter set for the side. I could change from tite linning to pulling in a very short time and all I would need extra in the boat would be the shorter mounting poles.

I currently carry eight rods for tight linning. eight for pulling, 2 titelock set ups and 4 drift master set ups, when I travel. When I fish locally I generally leave the boat rigged for pulling. But in Dec. Jan. and Feb. tight linning is generally the ticket. Of course tight linning is the most effective anytime, but I enjoy pulling more.

How, when, and where you fish is the key to boat rigging. What works for one may be way off base for someone else.

In any case careful planning and though now can avoid many of the mistakes I have made and be less expensive in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, as I'm just getting rigged up myself and have very little experience, It seems I've made a bad assumption...spider riggin and tight lining are Not the same?? Is it just the difference in pulling lines forward or pulling lines backwards?

I'm rigged for pulling right now but if ya'll clue me in on tight linining, I may see if I can turn it around.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    OK, as I'm just getting rigged up myself and have very little experience, It seems I've made a bad assumption...spider riggin and tight lining are Not the same?? Is it just the difference in pulling lines forward or pulling lines backwards?

I'm rigged for pulling right now but if ya'll clue me in on tight linining, I may see if I can turn it around.

Thanks!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sorry if I confused you. Spider rigging and tighlinning are basically the same thing, usually done with the rods in front of the boat ( pushing).
    Pulling for me is trolling ( or flatline trolling) done from the side or rear using only jigs in most cases.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to try what you all are doing. Here in Iowa your only allowed two rods per person. Sucks when your trying to find them and find what they want.
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...I'm gonna keep my rods on the side and troll. This also leaves me room for a little casting/doodlin around visible structure.
    Honestly, I don't know how how tightlners keep their lines out of the trolling motor. I've seen some pictures and it looks like they might be going backwards...that would keep the baits away from a bow-mounted prop but then stearing the boat becomes a problem...especially if you factor in wind and waves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    Thanks...I'm gonna keep my rods on the side and troll. This also leaves me room for a little casting/doodlin around visible structure.
    Honestly, I don't know how how tightlners keep their lines out of the trolling motor. I've seen some pictures and it looks like they might be going backwards...that would keep the baits away from a bow-mounted prop but then stearing the boat becomes a problem...especially if you factor in wind and waves.
    . tightlining is what we do on night stalks. anchored and fishing over the side with weights and minnows. id say spider riggin is an extremely slow form of trolling, since you are moving around at a very slow pace. the slow speed keeps the lines out of the trolling motor as you gotta go slow enough to keep the baits nearly verticle from the rod tip. when you are going fast enough to pull the lines out behind you, then you would be fast or flatline trollin and would have to mount the rods off the side or the back. thats my interpretation of it anyway
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger690,
    I didn't want to drill holes either so I also made a frame that I could put in and remove when needed. Works pretty good. I hold it in place with two bungy cords hooked to my foot pedal. The only problem is if I take on rough water while the rods are still in the holders.
    Attached Images Attached Images