Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Batted for the cycle at Acton today

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Batted for the cycle at Acton today

We headed down to Acton Lake today for the first time in about a month. Lake is low (though heavy rain today may change that) and water temp at the surface was in the high 70's.

I caught four channel cats, all about 12' long, so they went back. Didn't get anything on the crappie jigs I was throwing. Doug was thorwing the same jig and caught the following: four crappie (including three keepers between 9 1/2" - 11" ) three bluegills, one 13 1/2" LM bass and a young saugeye that measured about 9". The only thing in that lake we didn't catch was carp.

We were disappointed in the size of the saugeye. They were supposed to be hitting keeper size by now. The one Doug caught was about the same size as the one I caught back in May.

Everything was along the west side dropoff in about 12 feet of water following schools of shad. We're planning on doing some evening fishing at Rush Run tomorrow - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Question saugeye

What is the mininum length for a keeper saugeye @ Acton?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen anything posted yet, to be honest with you. The only limit I know applies is the "6 total in any combination of walleye, sauger and saugeye". There was a piece in the DDN over the weekend about the saugeyes getting up to 14" soon and Doug called the guy and told him that they're nowhere close to that yet. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta is right, there is no size limits on saugeye though many of us that fish for them just have our own. I don't keep any under 15 " and some times will return some of the skinnyer males.
    bttmline
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that as "tubular" as saugeye are, anything under 15" wouldn't yield enough meat to be worth the trouble of cleaning them. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

The main reason is to provide some trophies down the road since they are hybrids and most generally unable to reproduce. there are those that keep them at nearly any size.
    bttmline
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member