Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota Power Drive motor question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Power Drive motor question

Does anyone have any experience with Minn Kota Power Drive trolling motors? PanMan, you had one on you jon, didn't you?

I'm thinking of getting one for my jon. I was considering a more traditional bowmount with manual foot pedal. But to use it I would have to be on the bow deck. But I could use the power drive from anywhere in the boat. In addition, it's lighter than the traditional model, and has a more compact base. But I'm worried about reliability and durability.

Can someone tell me a little of their experiences?
    Last edited by SkyChimp; 09-16-2005 at 05:26 PM.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have one. It is a reconditioned model from Cabela's. I have had zero problems. Choices are very limited if you do not want to stay on the bow deck. I still have the Jon boat. This is the wrong time of year to sell a boat and there has been very little interest. In the next week or two, I plan to move the boat for sale to Gloucester and store it for the winter. I'll try to sell again in the spring when folks get the fever.

If you want to check out my PowerDrive, give me a call at 757-865-6111. I will be glad to let you take a look at it.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rowland, I've got one too and had another once before. Never a problem. I recently added the co-pilot but haven't been able to get out to try it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ran One For 5-yrs.---no Problem
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I think I'm going to buy a 50lb thrust model. I like the idea of being able to stand in the middle of my boat and control the motor on the bow.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Wardy Guest

Only problem I had was the shaft selection. I know they are adjustable but that much sticking up on a flat bottom was in the way

Post Thanks / Like

i bought the 55 lb thrust model so i could control my 20 ft sea ark from the console while striper fishing. works great.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 55# power drive on my boat and love it. The only problem that I have had is the people that rigged it out. They put too small of wire and fuse to it. I had to rewire and put a 50-amp breaker to it.
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider the Copilot option, it's the cats meow! A tiny remote you can clip to your rod or there's a velcro band to use it on your wrist or belt loop. Foot pedals always seemed awkward for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one too. Had it about 5 years. The only problem is that I've gone through 3 foot pedals. If they get leaves and crap in them they stop working.
    Now I always keep it in the truck to and from the lake and always store it in the garage.
    About the wireless remote control: will it work if it doesn't have a clear line of sight to the motor head?
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast