PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Power Drive motor question

SkyChimp
09-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Minn Kota Power Drive trolling motors? PanMan, you had one on you jon, didn't you?

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/500-000/594-420-00.jpg

I'm thinking of getting one for my jon. I was considering a more traditional bowmount with manual foot pedal. But to use it I would have to be on the bow deck. But I could use the power drive from anywhere in the boat. In addition, it's lighter than the traditional model, and has a more compact base. But I'm worried about reliability and durability.

Can someone tell me a little of their experiences?

PanMan_VA
09-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Yes, I have one. It is a reconditioned model from Cabela's. I have had zero problems. Choices are very limited if you do not want to stay on the bow deck. I still have the Jon boat. This is the wrong time of year to sell a boat and there has been very little interest. In the next week or two, I plan to move the boat for sale to Gloucester and store it for the winter. I'll try to sell again in the spring when folks get the fever.

If you want to check out my PowerDrive, give me a call at 757-865-6111. I will be glad to let you take a look at it.

Barnacle Bill
09-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Rowland, I've got one too and had another once before. Never a problem. I recently added the co-pilot but haven't been able to get out to try it.

frank lawhead
09-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Ran One For 5-yrs.---no Problem

SkyChimp
09-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks. I think I'm going to buy a 50lb thrust model. I like the idea of being able to stand in the middle of my boat and control the motor on the bow.

Wardy
09-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Only problem I had was the shaft selection. I know they are adjustable but that much sticking up on a flat bottom was in the way

rango
09-19-2005, 09:33 AM
i bought the 55 lb thrust model so i could control my 20 ft sea ark from the console while striper fishing. works great.

gonefishing
09-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I have a 55# power drive on my boat and love it. The only problem that I have had is the people that rigged it out. They put too small of wire and fuse to it. I had to rewire and put a 50-amp breaker to it.

Shellback
09-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Consider the Copilot option, it's the cats meow! A tiny remote you can clip to your rod or there's a velcro band to use it on your wrist or belt loop. Foot pedals always seemed awkward for me.

squirrel hunter
09-20-2005, 02:55 AM
I've got one too. Had it about 5 years. The only problem is that I've gone through 3 foot pedals. If they get leaves and crap in them they stop working.
Now I always keep it in the truck to and from the lake and always store it in the garage.
About the wireless remote control: will it work if it doesn't have a clear line of sight to the motor head?

Bluejay
09-20-2005, 09:13 AM
I have the remote and love it. Doesn't even have to be pointed in TM direction. Also can be set up to control different motors. Works great when out with my buddy who has one also. Cancontrol the motor if he is busy draggin in a slab.

slabbatical
09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
When I first went crappie fishing, the gent that took me (and all his friends) had modified their tm's with a hand held unit (attached with wire) that they used to steer. It was not total freedom (as wireless would be) but it did get them off the foot pedals. I don't know who did the work for them, but it might be worth asking around. Actually I'm interested in this too because I don't have the model the co-pilot system is designed for.