Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jiggin 15 fow jig size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jiggin 15 fow jig size

I am just curious how many people use jigs that are heavier than 1/16th. I was fishing other day and drug up a jig/minnow combo somebody had lost but it was 1/8th maybe.When I need more weight, what I always do or have done in the past, is attach a split shot above.I am just curious if many of you use, 1/8th or anything bigger than 1/16th.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile jig weight

I was at a crappie seminar a while back and a pro was talking about the subject of jig size. Basicly what he said was that a fish doesn't notice if the jig head is 1/32oz or 1/4oz, the same jig body will work the same regardless of the weight. So if a 1/4 oz jig will stay in or get to the strike zone quicker than a 1/32 then that is the way to go. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

The old man that showed me how to fish (God rest his soul) always used an 1/8 jig and would use only feather tail jigs and add a slip shot 1 foot above it when going deeper.Can yall imagin the patience he had to have to put up with me when 10 or 12 years old?
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

yea, I'm sure it wass a challange for him.lol

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Being wired a bit different myself, I can appreciate what you're sayin Dave. As to the question of jig size, walleye are supposed to be the ultimate of finicky. They sell marble size lead heads for them. Just have to work with em for a while and figure em out. The guy who showed me used almost nothing but 1/32 no matter how deep, and some were real deep. Tons of patience.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around