Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to start "long lineing" but...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Wanting to start "long lineing" but...

I'll start off with a little history. My grandaddy got me started crappie fish'n when I was about 5 years old. Back then all but a few thought the only time you could catch crappie was during the spawn and with a bobber & a minner. Well as we all know, times have changed & we must too. Lord only knows what would be the fate of the crappie population in Ky. Lake if my grandaddy would have been exposed to a site like this & all the other resources many of us have at our finger tips today.

Over the years I have been reluctant to change the way I fished. Stuck with the old spring time bobber & minner thing with an ocasional jig thrown in for years. Gradually evolved into spidder riggin, vertical jigg'n, cast'n and then fall & winter fish'n (all of which I dearly love). Now I am wanting to explore long line'n, but like many others it's hard for me not to "dance with the 1 that brung me." I just can't make myself ge started!

With the help of many of you folks (men & women, young & old) I have honed some skills and added the above techniques that have proved valuable to me in my fish'n. Not brag'n but thanks to yall's help, the days of hav'n to scrub the "skunk" smell outa the boat are few and far between. :D That sure makes fish'n a lot more enjoyable! And I guarantee all of you, if I hadn't joined this community that would not be the case! Heart felt thanks to all!

Those that know me know that I take my fish'n seriously & study this stuff. There is rarely a day goes by that I don't get on here & read something that benifits me.

Now... I wanta pick yall's brain's again. I'm determined to try the long line'n but I have questions.

1. What conditions/season dictate when this would be a good choice? I fish mainly the North ends of Ky & Barkly Lakes (if this helps) and we deal with a lot of rising/falling water levels.

2. What is a good setup?

3. What type/size of jigs?

4. What size/type line?

5. Speed? Lower/upper limit.

6. Best places? Dropoffs, flats, etc.

Anything else you think is important.

Thank's in advance,
    Wiskers
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskers View Post
    I'll start off with a little history. My grandaddy got me started crappie fish'n when I was about 5 years old. Back then all but a few thought the only time you could catch crappie was during the spawn and with a bobber & a minner. Well as we all know, times have changed & we must too. Lord only knows what would be the fate of the crappie population in Ky. Lake if my grandaddy would have been exposed to a site like this & all the other resources many of us have at our finger tips today.

Over the years I have been reluctant to change the way I fished. Stuck with the old spring time bobber & minner thing with an ocasional jig thrown in for years. Gradually evolved into spidder riggin, vertical jigg'n, cast'n and then fall & winter fish'n (all of which I dearly love). Now I am wanting to explore long line'n, but like many others it's hard for me not to "dance with the 1 that brung me." I just can't make myself ge started!

With the help of many of you folks (men & women, young & old) I have honed some skills and added the above techniques that have proved valuable to me in my fish'n. Not brag'n but thanks to yall's help, the days of hav'n to scrub the "skunk" smell outa the boat are few and far between. :D That sure makes fish'n a lot more enjoyable! And I guarantee all of you, if I hadn't joined this community that would not be the case! Heart felt thanks to all!

Those that know me know that I take my fish'n seriously & study this stuff. There is rarely a day goes by that I don't get on here & read something that benifits me.

Now... I wanta pick yall's brain's again. I'm determined to try the long line'n but I have questions.

1. What conditions/season dictate when this would be a good choice? I fish mainly the North ends of Ky & Barkly Lakes (if this helps) and we deal with a lot of rising/falling water levels.

2. What is a good setup?

3. What type/size of jigs?

4. What size/type line?

5. Speed? Lower/upper limit.

6. Best places? Dropoffs, flats, etc.

Anything else you think is important.

Thank's in advance,
    Wiskers
    try meeting monk lol he's the long line man, (love his work shops) I fish alot of diff. ways for our little friends, long linning is productive if your after the meat only, I like casting a jig to structures I have sunk best, that said,

my oppinion on your ?s

first off, great post,
    hope to hear from a ton of folks on it, (speakup monk)
    1 when their suspended, not in the shallows, (you'll loose everything) and not in winter when their deep.
    2 c-rig rough days more weight. one jig, or 1/8 jig alone if its calm.

3 1/16th for me to start, black red or orange head for me,
    4 4lb line so it cuts thru the water deeper, braid if your brave.
    5 as slow as you can go, play with it, crappie like it slow.
    6 flats 12' to 16' for me. ( flats near coves early in the summer, then find flats near the channels/deep water in the fall an late summer, they hit the deep water more often then,

ps you WILL learn your lake fishing this way,

puts fish in the boat forsure, if your into it.
    good luck and keep us posted.
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks

That narrows it down a lot for me. Thanks for the response! :D

Post Thanks / Like

These are good questions. I’ve been long lining (I call it trolling here in Florida) but can’t seem to figure out the depth my lure is at. I see fish at 8 to 10 feet but not sure where the bait is. I normally use 1/6 oz spinner baits while operating the trolling motor on the slowest speed. We have so much hydrilla this time of year it’s hard to tell if you are catching bottom or floating grass. This just may be one of things where practice makes perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

hey whiskers,

give me a call and we will discuss all your ? i would be glad to take you any time and show ya what has been workin for me. i think you you prolly got every thing you need to set up your boat. i have mainly longlined in the spring and fall but we could go play around with it on the ledges to learn set up.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

a 1/16th oz jig will run about 10 foot deep,give or take a foot at about .7 mph. 6 lb test line Use a 1/16th in water about 14 foot deep. A 1/24 in 10 to 7 foot and a1/32 in 5 to 3 foot.
    Pick your speed up if the jig starts hitting the bottom

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laserdoc View Post
    a 1/16th oz jig will run about 10 foot deep,give or take a foot at about .7 mph. 6 lb test line Use a 1/16th in water about 14 foot deep. A 1/24 in 10 to 7 foot and a1/32 in 5 to 3 foot.
    Pick your speed up if the jig starts hitting the bottom

Thanks for the advice...I need alll I can get.

DD.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up There you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodibuzz View Post
    hey whiskers,

give me a call and we will discuss all your ? i would be glad to take you any time and show ya what has been workin for me. i think you you prolly got every thing you need to set up your boat. i have mainly longlined in the spring and fall but we could go play around with it on the ledges to learn set up.
    I tried to call you a couple of weeks ago and left a message. I thought maybe you changed your # or something. I'll call ya.

I gotta go back to the boat tomorrow and won't be back till around the 28th.

Man you shoulda been with me up at Big Bear couple of week ago. Man I spanked their butt! :D Kept 104 in 5 trips (wife fished with me 1 day and a buddy gave me 11 but they weren't in the 104 count). Big fish too. Caught a ton of short fish. Had a heck of a fish fry! :D

And all you other folks... Keep the info com'n! :D And thanks for every darn bit of it! Really!
    :D
    Last edited by Wiskers; 06-29-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

number is still the same. i read this and checked my phone and found two messages, yours was one that i did not know i had. new phone is much smarter than i am,sorry.
    great catch at big bear for june. i thought you were at the lbl.i keep my boat at moors,we could have gotten after them that week. stay in touch and we will work on the longlinin'
    when you get off the boat. have a safe trip.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

When you guys talk about 'long lining' are you trolling this long line behind a moving boat?
    And I'm gonna assume you have some leaders tied to this line, with jigs etc at the ends of the leaders?
    Boy that sounds messy!

In Alaska I had a " Long line " Halibut permit.
    I laid out a 1200' Skate of line on the bottom. Actually about 15 of those Skates.
    The long line is held down at each end by anchors, with a float to the surface off each anchor.
    About every 20' or so, along the line, I'd have a Ganion, which is a Snapped-on leader two feet long with a big baited hook on the end of it.
    Thats a long line. The big tonner Commercials put out miles of line off a large Reel mounted on the Deck.

What you guys are doing is called Gang trolling. Similar to one method of Commercial Salmon fishing out on the West Coast.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast