PDA

View Full Version : 1/32, 1/64 jigs versus 1/16 jigs

Mud-Dabber
09-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I fish in Texas and most crappie fishermen utilize the 1/16 overwhelmingly and very rarely do I even see any 1/32 or 1/64 jigs to even buy out here. In looking at the archived crappie files in this forum, I notice a huge amount of people utilized the micro jigs. I may be missing the boat big time in this area by not utilizing the smaller jigs. I sure would appreciate the knowledge of your experienced crappie fishermen on any info you would like to pass along in regard to the use of the smallest jigs. why, what conditions, time of the year, etc. If you don't mind could you also pass along what colors you have found to be the best and any sources/stores/websites where I can purchase some of the smallest jigs. If you hand tie and would be interested in selling me any please contact me at: dennisboat@juno.com
I sure appreciate any info you might pass along. I catch quite a few crappie out here, but not near the sizes you guys have an opportunity to catch. We catch quite a few 1 lb. fish, with a 2 lb. fish not out of the question. It is a very rare day when a weighed 3 lb. fish is caught. Guess that proves not everything is larger in Texas. haha
Thanks, I appreciate your input,
Mud-Dabber, Abilene, Texas

CrappiePappy
09-16-2005, 12:23 PM
There are several custom jig makers on this site, and they all do quality work. I get mine from P&S Custom Tackle (weedless jigheads & custom hair/feather jigs). I also have some great looking ones from Crappie Magic.

Check out these fine follks:
P&S Custom Tackle (Paul Mullins) - baitmaker2000@hotmail.com

Crappie Magic (Mike Simpson) - mike@crappiemagic.com (www.crappiemagic.com)

And check out the "business directory" for some others - http://www.crappie.com/pmd/index.php?category=2

I do know that many people use sizes smaller than 1/16oz ... usually for two reasons - smaller profile & slower fall rate. A lot of "dock shooters" I know of, use a 1/24oz head, for the slower fall rate. The smaller profile may come into play, when the fish get real persnickity about "size". Line size has about as much to do with fall rate, as does the weight of the jighead. And the size and shape (& bouyancy) of the plastics or hair/feather/fabric bodies will also affect the fall rate. I generally use a 1.5-2" plastic body ... and will sometimes trim down a marabou/hair/feather "tail" (if getting short strikes).
Colors ... everyone has their own favorites, that work for them. Me, I like most any color - in combination with Chartreuse (esp char. tails). My favorite tube color is "Electric Blue/char" (deep blue w/silver metalflake & char tails). But, have had success with the following - blk/char, red/char, pink/char, green/char, white/char, as well as solid white, solid pink, and solid chartreuse.

Tubes - check out: Bass Pro Shops (Sparkle Squirts & Squirmin Squirts) ... Southern Pro (Lit'L Hustlers) ... Blue Ribbon Lures (Scale Heads)

Assorted plastic bodies - http://www.cabelas.com/information/Fishing/Panfish--PanfishSoftPlastics.html
http://www.culprit.com/html/crappie.html
http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/

And let's not forget one of my other favorite "commercially available" Crappie lures - the Roadrunner : http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.SearchResults

......... luck2ya ....cp :cool:

Barnacle Bill
09-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I fish in Texas and most crappie fishermen utilize the 1/16 overwhelmingly and very rarely do I even see any 1/32 or 1/64 jigs to even buy out here. In looking at the archived crappie files in this forum, I notice a huge amount of people utilized the micro jigs. I may be missing the boat big time in this area by not utilizing the smaller jigs. I sure would appreciate the knowledge of your experienced crappie fishermen on any info you would like to pass along in regard to the use of the smallest jigs. why, what conditions, time of the year, etc. If you don't mind could you also pass along what colors you have found to be the best and any sources/stores/websites where I can purchase some of the smallest jigs. If you hand tie and would be interested in selling me any please contact me at: dennisboat@juno.com
I sure appreciate any info you might pass along. I catch quite a few crappie out here, but not near the sizes you guys have an opportunity to catch. We catch quite a few 1 lb. fish, with a 2 lb. fish not out of the question. It is a very rare day when a weighed 3 lb. fish is caught. Guess that proves not everything is larger in Texas. haha
Thanks, I appreciate your input,
Mud-Dabber, Abilene, Texas

Mud-Dabber, look in the classified Swap Meet -classified ads section of crappie.com and then under "where crappie fishermen buy their gear". There are some people listed there that can make them for you.

whizkids
09-16-2005, 01:20 PM
When casting I match the size of the jig to the rate of fall I want and the depth I am fishing. Crappie feed up and many times hit a jig on the fall. The longer it stays above them, the more time they have to see it.

When casting to a lay down or shallow sunken brush, the lighter jig is a little less likely to hang on a limb during the retrive.

If you are trolling with only the jig for weight, you will be able to cover three different depths with the sizes you mentioned assuming the same size line, and the same length cast behind the boat.

Mud-Dabber
09-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Great information. I appreciate it as I learn from everyone and to think, now I have a source of information throughout multiple states blows my mind. Let the information flow continue for anyone that can impart some of the knowledge they have. Additional question, when you use the smaller jig do you tie it in tandem and if so do you prefer above or on the bottom and why on the location if possible?

Crappie Reaper
09-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Dang Mud, you still lookin fer jigs? HEH, lose some already? Have you had a chance to fish them much? I've been in Hot Springs Village Ark all week. I brought the boat and have fished two lakes here in the Village. I'll just say, clear water fishing stinks. My clear blue flourescent line is probably not helping either. Going home tomorrow, will fish more familliar haunts on Sunday. I wanted to fish Hamilton in Hot Springs, but had no clue as to where to launch. send me a report through mail.
CR

Mo'nBack
09-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Here I use the 1/32 90% of the time. I use the 1/16 the rest of the time if I want it to fall quicker like with current or if I'm fishing deep. Either way I like to fish my jigs down, meaning that I stop them and bump them a time or two to check different depths. I like blue/white, white/silver/chart, blue/chart, pink/pearl, and chart/black, but I will try any and all colors if I can't catch them on a favorite. I mostly use tube jigs from www.barlowstackle.com and I bought a jig mold from them and mold my own jigheads in 1/32 & 1/16 oz minnowhead jigs. You need to get several colors and sizes and try in your area with different approaches to see what works best for you. Hope this helps.

Jerry Blake
09-17-2005, 05:16 AM
Hey Reaper:

You shoulda called me - I woulda told you where to put your boat in. The crappie have been a bit slow on Hamilton this week. But with cooler weather moving in they'll be doing better. Give me a ring next time your in the area and I'll try to point you in the right direction for some slabs.

Roberta
09-17-2005, 06:03 AM
We use 1/16 most of the time because we're casting and retrieving and that size gives us a good rate of fall, casting distance, and matches well with most of the plastics we pair them with. But we use smaller jigs in shallower water, in cover or in cold water. When ice fishing (not that you need to think about that in Abilene) we go to itty bitty ice jigs (no plastic body) tipped with a couple of waxworms that just sort of drift through the water like a sinking insect. - Roberta

blufloyd
09-17-2005, 09:23 AM
I outfish those standing around me with 1/48 down to 1/100th. Mites and whipr snaps are around 1/60th I am told. Of course I never fish that deep water guys talk about all the time either. I get them shallow year round. If your dragging 8lb line down 30 ft you might need a 1/16th. Bumping and waiting the bottom with 1/32 and assassins working this week and nobody is fishing or boating. They are all mine. Released of course.

skiptomylu
09-17-2005, 11:51 AM
I go with crappiepappyand the 1/32 oz. Roadrunners. I buy them by the card. I also have some 1/16 and 1/8 for jig'n straight up and down, but like to troll motor troll with the 1/32 oz.

Mud-Dabber
09-18-2005, 11:53 AM
The knowledge you passed along has already impacted my crappie fishing. Saturday, I fished the local lake near Abilene. The last two weeks have been pretty tough fishing as the crappie are persnickity to say the least. Usually average 6-10 keepers with 6 throwbacks or so for a couple of hours fishing. Saturday, I made a run through the normal 12 docks and 4 brush piles I fish and only one throwback (Texas has a 10 inch minimum) on the regular 1/16 oz. jigs in the go to colors. Luckily, Crappie Reaper from Oklahoma sent me a couple of 1/32 oz. jigs and a couple of 1/64 oz. jigs to just try. Tried the 1/32 and still not much maybe a couple of throwbacks, finally went to a 1/64 on bottom with a 1/16 about 8 inches above in 12 feet water with a color combo of fl. orange/black/chartruse and it was just like a light turned on for those crappie. Going back over the identical water I had just fished, I turned those finicky crappie into eaters and had 12 keeper and another dozen throwbacks in a couple of hours without using nibblets or anything else. No large fish, just keepers up to 1 lb. Just the size and color pattern made the big difference. Needless to say I am now a believer in your FEEDBACK and am on the big time hunt for the micro jigs. Many thanks to Crappie Reaper for the opportunity to try your jigs. The idea I received from Crappie Reaper was that he felt some times when the crappie are finicky they will take the micro jigs due to being easier to inhale with little effort. I don't have the answer, but am unbelievably impressed with this potential new trick for the slow bite.
Thanks Everyone for your input, within a two week period I have turned around the slow crappie fishing period at least temporarily. Haha Water Temperature was 79 degrees with temperature two weeks ago at 84 so it is still to early for the Fall bite to begin here.
Good Fishing and Many Thanks,
Mud-Dabber

Crappie Reaper
09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Glad I could help MD. I have a few more you can test. I think I'll send you a few of the 1/8oz for you to try out. Char,black,char was best color I used today. I use the 1/8 oz when trolling for them, and the 1/32-1/64th when jigging the timber. I would try other weights, but I don't have the molds. I buy the 1/8 prepoured for $10 per hundred, (not a bad price considering hooks run for around $8). The best combo I have used so far this summer, is any head color, Orange, Char. I like to try to tie most jigs with contrasting colors. Seems like the more it clashes, the more hits I get. Thus, "Reapers Clashing Combos" are born. haha

CrappiePappy
09-18-2005, 11:45 PM
I remember back several years ago -- orange baits were all the rage :rolleyes: and people were supposedly catching 'em by the bucketful, on orange.
I purchased several bags of various "orange" plastics, and .... well, let's just say that the results have been less than spectacular. Actually, the results "sucked" (pardon the pun). I even tried some "rosey reds", once ... but, they died on the hook (and this was in Tenn !! - you'd think a Vol fish would have the decency to bite on a "Orange" minnow :p )
Maybe it's a confidence thing ... or maybe it's just "unnatural" for a Ky Wildcat fan to use anything "orange" ... LOL!! But, I've tried, and I just don't seem to get the same results from "orange", as I do from "Blue".
I'm not disputing anyone elses results ... but, I just can't seem to get that color to work for me. I try it and my catch rate drops to zero - I replace it with another color (almost ANY other color) and I start catching again. Thankfully, I do catch a fish every now & then ... elsewise I'd think it was "me", and not the color choice, that was the problem ... LOL!!

......... luck2ya'll that throw "orange", but I think I'll stick to blue (or red, or green, or bubblegum, or "anything else" ) ............cp :cool:

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
09-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I 2nd CrappiePappy's recomendation of Crappie Magic jigs. I have fished with none better. Mike Simpson is a great guy, very detail oriented, and a top Crappie angler too. Buy with confidence, his stuff will put the fish in the boat!

General rules I stick by for the most part:

Spring - big profiled baits because I am usually fishing dirty water.

Summer - highly detailed baits and smaller sized because fish get
finnicky, and the water claritey is often better deeper.

Fall - bigger baits because the local baitfish are fully matured
and the Crappie put on the feed bag in earnest then.

Winter - tiny, highly detailed baits because the water is it's clearest
and Crappie will feed on insects that are easy prey for them then.

Hope that helps some, and adds to what other have already stated. Full baskets to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

GABoy
09-22-2005, 11:42 AM
There are several custom jig makers on this site, and they all do quality work.

Don't forget about Big Zig also.
He has everything from 1/8th oz. to 1/64th oz. and some VERY unique paint patterns and many different types of chenille and maribou. He is making up new jigs all the time too, so if there is anything specific you need, just ask, he can probably get it or make it.

Check out the article about his jigs when you get a chance.

You can PM him and he will let you know what he can offer.

http://www.crappie.com/zigsjigs/index.html

Thanks - GABoy

Crappie Reaper
09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I mix the size up myself. Two 1/8th oz for trolling, locating schools. Single 1/32 - 1/64th for brush, depending on the wind. I will sometimes use a spilt shot to add a bit of weight. Here's some that I tied up the last two nights. It's a sample of the colors I used, the rest are already in the tackle box. Hot color of the day was Green, black, char. / Orange, black, orange, / White, black, blue.
Think I am going to name my jigs.....Reapers Creapers, creap up on them, drop in on them, yank their slimey buts from the depths of h*ll, into my frying pan.
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3905/jigs9fi.jpg

I tied at least 4 of each color, and more of the ones I know I already like.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
10-07-2005, 06:18 AM
I am gonna BUMP this, and several other threads back to the top. Everyone, stop exchanging barbs, and insults and get back on what we all hope to come to this board for. Thank you for your cooperation!

<,"}/>{ Tim Fahrenkrog