Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/32, 1/64 jigs versus 1/16 jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1/32, 1/64 jigs versus 1/16 jigs

I fish in Texas and most crappie fishermen utilize the 1/16 overwhelmingly and very rarely do I even see any 1/32 or 1/64 jigs to even buy out here. In looking at the archived crappie files in this forum, I notice a huge amount of people utilized the micro jigs. I may be missing the boat big time in this area by not utilizing the smaller jigs. I sure would appreciate the knowledge of your experienced crappie fishermen on any info you would like to pass along in regard to the use of the smallest jigs. why, what conditions, time of the year, etc. If you don't mind could you also pass along what colors you have found to be the best and any sources/stores/websites where I can purchase some of the smallest jigs. If you hand tie and would be interested in selling me any please contact me at: [email protected]
    I sure appreciate any info you might pass along. I catch quite a few crappie out here, but not near the sizes you guys have an opportunity to catch. We catch quite a few 1 lb. fish, with a 2 lb. fish not out of the question. It is a very rare day when a weighed 3 lb. fish is caught. Guess that proves not everything is larger in Texas. haha
    Thanks, I appreciate your input,
    Mud-Dabber, Abilene, Texas

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Dabber ...

There are several custom jig makers on this site, and they all do quality work. I get mine from P&S Custom Tackle (weedless jigheads & custom hair/feather jigs). I also have some great looking ones from Crappie Magic.

Check out these fine follks:
    P&S Custom Tackle (Paul Mullins) - [email protected]

Crappie Magic (Mike Simpson) - [email protected] (www.crappiemagic.com)

And check out the "business directory" for some others - http://www.crappie.com/pmd/index.php?category=2

I do know that many people use sizes smaller than 1/16oz ... usually for two reasons - smaller profile & slower fall rate. A lot of "dock shooters" I know of, use a 1/24oz head, for the slower fall rate. The smaller profile may come into play, when the fish get real persnickity about "size". Line size has about as much to do with fall rate, as does the weight of the jighead. And the size and shape (& bouyancy) of the plastics or hair/feather/fabric bodies will also affect the fall rate. I generally use a 1.5-2" plastic body ... and will sometimes trim down a marabou/hair/feather "tail" (if getting short strikes).
    Colors ... everyone has their own favorites, that work for them. Me, I like most any color - in combination with Chartreuse (esp char. tails). My favorite tube color is "Electric Blue/char" (deep blue w/silver metalflake & char tails). But, have had success with the following - blk/char, red/char, pink/char, green/char, white/char, as well as solid white, solid pink, and solid chartreuse.

Tubes - check out: Bass Pro Shops (Sparkle Squirts & Squirmin Squirts) ... Southern Pro (Lit'L Hustlers) ... Blue Ribbon Lures (Scale Heads)

Assorted plastic bodies - http://www.cabelas.com/information/F...tPlastics.html
    http://www.culprit.com/html/crappie.html
    http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/

And let's not forget one of my other favorite "commercially available" Crappie lures - the Roadrunner : http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.SearchResults

......... luck2ya ....cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mud-Dabber
    I fish in Texas and most crappie fishermen utilize the 1/16 overwhelmingly and very rarely do I even see any 1/32 or 1/64 jigs to even buy out here. In looking at the archived crappie files in this forum, I notice a huge amount of people utilized the micro jigs. I may be missing the boat big time in this area by not utilizing the smaller jigs. I sure would appreciate the knowledge of your experienced crappie fishermen on any info you would like to pass along in regard to the use of the smallest jigs. why, what conditions, time of the year, etc. If you don't mind could you also pass along what colors you have found to be the best and any sources/stores/websites where I can purchase some of the smallest jigs. If you hand tie and would be interested in selling me any please contact me at: [email protected]
    I sure appreciate any info you might pass along. I catch quite a few crappie out here, but not near the sizes you guys have an opportunity to catch. We catch quite a few 1 lb. fish, with a 2 lb. fish not out of the question. It is a very rare day when a weighed 3 lb. fish is caught. Guess that proves not everything is larger in Texas. haha
    Thanks, I appreciate your input,
    Mud-Dabber, Abilene, Texas
    Mud-Dabber, look in the classified Swap Meet -classified ads section of crappie.com and then under "where crappie fishermen buy their gear". There are some people listed there that can make them for you.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

When casting I match the size of the jig to the rate of fall I want and the depth I am fishing. Crappie feed up and many times hit a jig on the fall. The longer it stays above them, the more time they have to see it.

When casting to a lay down or shallow sunken brush, the lighter jig is a little less likely to hang on a limb during the retrive.

If you are trolling with only the jig for weight, you will be able to cover three different depths with the sizes you mentioned assuming the same size line, and the same length cast behind the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Great information. I appreciate it as I learn from everyone and to think, now I have a source of information throughout multiple states blows my mind. Let the information flow continue for anyone that can impart some of the knowledge they have. Additional question, when you use the smaller jig do you tie it in tandem and if so do you prefer above or on the bottom and why on the location if possible?
    Last edited by Mud-Dabber; 09-16-2005 at 02:28 PM. Reason: misspelled words and did not make sense

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Mud, you still lookin fer jigs? HEH, lose some already? Have you had a chance to fish them much? I've been in Hot Springs Village Ark all week. I brought the boat and have fished two lakes here in the Village. I'll just say, clear water fishing stinks. My clear blue flourescent line is probably not helping either. Going home tomorrow, will fish more familliar haunts on Sunday. I wanted to fish Hamilton in Hot Springs, but had no clue as to where to launch. send me a report through mail.
    CR
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kind of like opinions

Here I use the 1/32 90% of the time. I use the 1/16 the rest of the time if I want it to fall quicker like with current or if I'm fishing deep. Either way I like to fish my jigs down, meaning that I stop them and bump them a time or two to check different depths. I like blue/white, white/silver/chart, blue/chart, pink/pearl, and chart/black, but I will try any and all colors if I can't catch them on a favorite. I mostly use tube jigs from www.barlowstackle.com and I bought a jig mold from them and mold my own jigheads in 1/32 & 1/16 oz minnowhead jigs. You need to get several colors and sizes and try in your area with different approaches to see what works best for you. Hope this helps.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Reaper:

You shoulda called me - I woulda told you where to put your boat in. The crappie have been a bit slow on Hamilton this week. But with cooler weather moving in they'll be doing better. Give me a ring next time your in the area and I'll try to point you in the right direction for some slabs.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Whizkids said

We use 1/16 most of the time because we're casting and retrieving and that size gives us a good rate of fall, casting distance, and matches well with most of the plastics we pair them with. But we use smaller jigs in shallower water, in cover or in cold water. When ice fishing (not that you need to think about that in Abilene) we go to itty bitty ice jigs (no plastic body) tipped with a couple of waxworms that just sort of drift through the water like a sinking insect. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I outfish those standing around me with 1/48 down to 1/100th. Mites and whipr snaps are around 1/60th I am told. Of course I never fish that deep water guys talk about all the time either. I get them shallow year round. If your dragging 8lb line down 30 ft you might need a 1/16th. Bumping and waiting the bottom with 1/32 and assassins working this week and nobody is fishing or boating. They are all mine. Released of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast