Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New old question

Post Thanks / Like

Default New old question

When threading soft baits like a Yum beavertail on a jig head does the flat side go up or down? In other words does the hook come out the flat side of the body or the rounded side?

I’m sure this has been answered before but a little help is appreciated.

DD

Post Thanks / Like

on the correct sized jig, it should come out right where the tail starts and the body of the grub ends.

Take a closer look at the "Road Runner" ad at the top of the page, and imagine that crappie thunder tube is a beaver tail grub, thats about the best way. You want any bait with an action tail to have as much mobility as possible, generally speaking.

HB

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Double D ....

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuty View Post
    When threading soft baits like a Yum beavertail on a jig head does the flat side go up or down? In other words does the hook come out the flat side of the body or the rounded side?

I’m sure this has been answered before but a little help is appreciated.

DD
    I don't think it matters all that much, but the "normal" (usual) way is to have the flat side down. Unless the bait is different colors, top/bottom, it probably doesn't look any different to the fish, either.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I don't think it matters all that much, but the "normal" (usual) way is to have the flat side down. Unless the bait is different colors, top/bottom, it probably doesn't look any different to the fish, either.

... cp

Intresting! i always go flat side up, why do you go flat side down?
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Okay here we go. I use a Puddle Jumper just like the beaver tail and always hook it flat side up so the hook come between the tails . It will spin when hooked this way. A friend at TB hooks it side ways. it doesn't spin. Flat is the way to go.. it dives and spins but twist the line too...??? the choice is yours

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Flat Side Up

Flat Side Up.

With the flat side down you will get a spin of the lure on the CAST .. and less distance and accuracy ... Its a "Wind Foil" action.

With the flat side up you will get better "Hook Ups" due to the even surface.

The above is applying to a jig headed lure.

Other soft plastic applications may be the other way around ... I have not found many cases where it was better with flat side down.

My 2 cents worth

JSC
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I was thinking in terms of a Panfish Assassin ...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy View Post
    Intresting! i always go flat side up, why do you go flat side down?
    .... which also has a flat side & rounded side. They're mostly colored with the darker color on the rounded side (top). Darker colors, on a two tone bait, are generally the top color ... representing the darker color of a baitfish's back, to contrast with the lighter color of the belly. A more "natural look", if you will. (even when the colors don't correspond to any known creature :p ) It's their natural camo ... lighter color belly to blend in with the surface reflection (when seen from underneath) and darker color back, to blend in with the darker background of the bottom or dark water depths (as seen from above).

Flat side down also creates a gliding effect, where a round side down usually just falls straight. It's more noticable when using a very light jighead.

I have no experience with the beavertail baits .. but the question seemed somewhat ambivalent towards any particular bait (it does say "soft baits LIKE a yum beavertail"). I just answered it in relation to what I do, and what I'm familiar with.

When any plastic bait I use, has a flat side ... I consider that to be the "bottom" side of it ... be it a worm, grub, or creature bait. Lots of critters have flattened undersides and humped/curved backs (like snakes, nightcrawlers, catfish, etc) .. but, few (if any) have a belly bulge (curved) and a flat back. It just seemed more "natural/normal" to me, therefore, to consider the flat portion of a bait to be the underside.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm in Pappy's boat on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    .... which also has a flat side & rounded side. They're mostly colored with the darker color on the rounded side (top). Darker colors, on a two tone bait, are generally the top color ... representing the darker color of a baitfish's back, to contrast with the lighter color of the belly. A more "natural look", if you will. (even when the colors don't correspond to any known creature :p ) It's their natural camo ... lighter color belly to blend in with the surface reflection (when seen from underneath) and darker color back, to blend in with the darker background of the bottom or dark water depths (as seen from above).

Flat side down also creates a gliding effect, where a round side down usually just falls straight. It's more noticable when using a very light jighead.

I have no experience with the beavertail baits .. but the question seemed somewhat ambivalent towards any particular bait (it does say "soft baits LIKE a yum beavertail"). I just answered it in relation to what I do, and what I'm familiar with.

When any plastic bait I use, has a flat side ... I consider that to be the "bottom" side of it ... be it a worm, grub, or creature bait. Lots of critters have flattened undersides and humped/curved backs (like snakes, nightcrawlers, catfish, etc) .. but, few (if any) have a belly bulge (curved) and a flat back. It just seemed more "natural/normal" to me, therefore, to consider the flat portion of a bait to be the underside.

... cp
    I use a lot of panfish assissins up here in the clear water and although I never intentionally hooked the flat side up, I think the same thing as Pappy for the same reasons, for what it's worth.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to ask the fish how they want it hooked. It really doesn't matter how the fisherman wants it hooked. There is no set way to hook any trailer on the back of a jig. It depends on how aggressive the fish are feeding. Most trailers can be hooked different ways to make the jig do different things. Like Pappy said the flat side down will allow the jig to glide down where hooking the rounded side down will let it fall more rapidly straight down. You can regulate the speed by keeping it on a tight line. Gliding the jig down I let it fall on a slack line and it will move more inticingly to a finicky fish that isn't as aggressive. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter to me. I'm a cheapo, I hook it one way & after I use it a while & it gets to where it wants to slide off the hook I turn it over & re-hook it the other way.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast