Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville

Was lucky enough to go out with birddog 54 last evening. We ran around the lake looking at new spots. We didnt catch the numbers but the size was great. Thank we had about 15 or 16 nice fish. Birddog caught what I thought was a real nice first fish biggest Ive seen out smithville 15 incher. We were dipping trees 15 to 28 fow. fishing 9 to 10 ft deep. And when he tells you he uses blue and white thats all we used. On a side note anyone looking for a boat ought to look at the express I was really impressed by this Alum boat road good ,fished out of well. Thanks again to birddog just one of many good people on here. Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Birddog is one of te great guys that fishes Smithville, Lee and Jon and Mike are great too. I went to church with them for 16 years and can honestly say not a better bunch around... they're not too shabby in the fishing department either, although they never take me! Guess they are afraid I'll put it on them! Just because I'm the biologist doesn't make me a better fisherman than them, that came about about from years of hard fishing! Just kidding guys. It would be good to get together one evening now that my work is slowing down some. Everyone be careful the next couple weekends out at the lake. The hot temps this weekend and July 4th next will have the lake packed. Stay above the bridges to avoid the waterskiers and tubers. Unfortunately that still doesn't keep the jet skis out of your way.

The crappie should be settling into their summer patterns and the main lake brushpiles will start to produce soon if they aren't already. I'll be finding out this next week. My FIL is in in tow and I'll take him out a couple of times so Ill be able to post an actual fishing report! The spring was too busy! Don't forget to look for schooling white bass when you're out. They should be really good this year.

As far as biddog using blue and white jigs, they are the only ones I use too. They seem to always out produce regardless of the water clarity. I've used others with success but blue and white is my confidence color. I'll also use a chartruese jig head so I guess I've got all the bases covered.

Good luck and good fishing.

Jake.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys have read all my reports this past spring on Smithville and if you remember all I throw is blue/white and yellow/white. If you throw anything other then them 2 colors then your just wanting to see how many different colors you can catch fish on. Those colors have worked everywhere I've fished for crappie. A 15 inch fish is big on any lake in Missouri. Good Job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by got crappie View Post
    Was lucky enough to go out with birddog 54 last evening. We ran around the lake looking at new spots. We didnt catch the numbers but the size was great. Thank we had about 15 or 16 nice fish. Birddog caught what I thought was a real nice first fish biggest Ive seen out smithville 15 incher. We were dipping trees 15 to 28 fow. fishing 9 to 10 ft deep. And when he tells you he uses blue and white thats all we used. On a side note anyone looking for a boat ought to look at the express I was really impressed by this Alum boat road good ,fished out of well. Thanks again to birddog just one of many good people on here. Dave
    Had geat time Got Crappie. I may have got the bigger fish but GC held his own with numbers. Here's the one GC is talking about, but we also had another 6 fish in the 12+ - 13+ range for total of 17 fish. Can't say we were pushing hard, but really had a good time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200

Post Thanks / Like

Jake, I was fearful that if took you....you'd come with ALL of your summer help. LOL. Let's see if we can get together in a couple 2 or 3 weeks. I'm currently in training for the "Ozark Amateur Golf Tournament". I think the last time I fished the main lake brush piles.......I was with YOU!

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200