Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you Color ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you Color ???

Do any of you use permanent markers to color your line? WAY back there, like 20 years ago when I used to fish a lot, I'm just now getting back to it,,,,, we used to take a permanent marker and mark our mono line at a depth, you can even use a different color and mark a different depth, say black for 10' and red for 12' and orange for 14'--------and use these as a reference. Of course realize that we mostly used 6' and 7' rods back then, today I see a lot of you using those 10 and 12 footers....the reference marks keep your jig in the water and still know your depth, without it I find myself lifting the jig "just to check" occasionally.

Bulletman
    Bulletman aka Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

I am one of those that use a 10' rod. I use drag the line out to the lenght that I want and dip the debth by eyeballing it.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Yes

But I have trouble staying inside the lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Sorry

sometimes I can't help but be a smartazz.
    I use a 10' pole with yellow braided line and I usually mark mine at ten and twenty feet. Good Luck
    N2

Post Thanks / Like

Last year my 10 year old grandson was visiting and I took him out fishing. When we started I told him we want to color the line from the jig head up about 12" so the fish won't see it. He wasn't paying a bit of attention and really wasn't into fishing that day. I didn't think he even noticed what I was doing. About two weeks later my son called and said he had taken my grandson out fishing and before they got started the grandson said, "Now dad you know we need to color the line so it won't spook the fish." When his dad asked him where he came up with that idea, the boy just said, "I know stuff, dad.":p
    I'm just an ornery sinner saved by Grace:o

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story about the grandson. I use ten ft rods also. On Truman I fish ten ft deep 99% of the time so marking is not a problem. In the winter some times we will fish 12 to 14 ft down. I have a red and a black sharpie that shows up real well on Stren hi-vis braid.

Post Thanks / Like

been marking my line since 1970 and gonna keep doing it. dont remember what we marked it with I just remember Harold Lee saying now son mark the rod them pull out x times and them mark that line you know them fish always stay at the same depth. marking the rod let us know how far from the reel to the first eye. basis for your depth gauge

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a bobber stop on my line- either a thread or a rubber type. That way it will double as a depth marker or be that much easier to put a slip bobber on when needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I color my Power Pro High Viz Yellow Braid at 10' & 20'. I'm not good enough to eyeball it, even with my 10' pole!

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use those high viz chart bobber stops when im fish'n without a slip cork to mark depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast