Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freezing your fillets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing your fillets

Just wondering what is the best method to use when freezing crappie fillets to make sure they will be ok and not freezer burn, so i can enjoy them this winter.

Thanks!!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

drop em in a zip loc bag, with some water, squeeze the air and most the water out then finish sealing.theyll keep a long time like that. you dont want a lot of water, and no air. just enough water to insure the fillets are submerged with no fillets exposed to any air pockets.
    Last edited by rango; 09-16-2005 at 03:40 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I Concur!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it that way too and they will keep for a long time. A lot of people use the vacumn thingy and say its the best but I've never tried it,
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I vacumn seal and will never do it any other way. Many people have told me they have eaten fish that had been in their freezer for two years and tasted like they were fresh caught. I have eaten them a year later and they tasted fresh. I never intentionally keep fish in the freezer for a year, but I have four freezers and sometimes things have a way of getting lost.

Post Thanks / Like

The water in the bag method works okay but any professional chef will tell you that ANY meat should not be frozen in water. It sucks the flavor out of the meat. That's why the water is fishy when thawed. The BEST way is to vacuum seal. The fish remains as fresh as the day you caught it. Vacuum sealers are expensive and the bags are costly but I use them for many other things like mealed sized portions of pulled pork, brisket and roasted Hatch New Mexico chile peppers. I make some killer "pulled pork chile".

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys soaking your fillets, say for ovenright, before you freeze them, or do you freeze right after cleaning?

And if you are soaking them first, what are you using?

Thanks for the quick replies by the way....appreciate it.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water on fillets

I have frozen a lot of crappie fillets over the last 20 years. Used to use water, but have found that it is better to keep all water away from the fillets. They tend to absorb a small percentage of moisture and this detracts from the flavor when fried , baked etc. I then use a freezer quality zip lock type freezer bag and force out as much air as possible when sealing.
    I have had little problem with freezer burn up to a year.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe58
    Are you guys soaking your fillets, say for ovenright, before you freeze them, or do you freeze right after cleaning?

And if you are soaking them first, what are you using?

Thanks for the quick replies by the way....appreciate it.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the water deal for years until lately. Now, when i finish cleaning the fish, i dry them, and place on a baking sheet with wax paper down and freeze them for a few hours. After they are frozen, i place in a large freezer type zip lock bag. This way, as I want to cook them, i can pull out only the number of fillets I need for THAT meal...No waste.

I works for me!!!
    " I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more war. " Abbie Hoffman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast