Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving to and from the crappie hole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving to and from the crappie hole

Is bound to get a little bit safer with the new law put into effect for the people who can't stop drinking and driving. This may very well prevent one of our members and family members from being killed. Nice job Missouri!

Quoted from KC STAR:

"Business is about to pick up for ignition interlock providers in Missouri.

A new state law takes effect Wednesday that requires people with two or more drunk-driving convictions to install the devices on their vehicles for six months in order to get their license back.

The Missouri Department of Revenue says about 70,000 people in the state will be affected.

An interlock is a breath-testing device connected to a car’s ignition system. The driver must blow into the device before the car will start. An alcohol content above a prescribed level will disable the vehicle.

The law is good news for Mothers Against Drunk Driving and other traffic safety advocates.

“If you’re convicted twice, shame on you because you didn’t get it the first time,” said Avis Lowe, a MADD victim’s advocate whose 27-year-old son was a pedestrian killed by a repeat drunk driver in downtown Kansas City in 1995.

But the law is only a partial victory for advocates like MADD spokesman Mike Boland of St. Louis, who wanted the ignition interlock required for first-time convicted drunk drivers, such as in New Mexico and Arizona.

“I believe they’ve seen an almost 25 percent reduction in fatalities,” Boland said. “But even if we’re looking at a 10 percent reduction in Missouri, if you’re that one family and that knock is not coming at your door, that’s a great reduction.”

The Department of Revenue in May sent letters to people potentially affected by the new law and will send another round after the July 4 holiday, said Ted Farnen, director of communications.

The law will affect future repeat offenders of Missouri’s alcohol-related driving laws as well as past repeat offenders who have not had their driving privileges reinstated by July 1.

The Missouri Department of Transportation has a list of certified ignition interlock providers. The offenders are responsible for paying for the system, just as they are with other court costs."

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

The only bad thing about it a drunk can give some kid walking down the street ten bucks to blow in the machine to get his automobile started and off he goes. But if it helps I'm all for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard about this on the news. Good idea.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigby View Post
    The only bad thing about it a drunk can give some kid walking down the street ten bucks to blow in the machine to get his automobile started and off he goes. But if it helps I'm all for it.
    No...I rode to lunch with a co-worker who had one of these. You have to blow to start it...but not just blow you kind of have to hummm into it. I guess that keeps you from using compressed air.

Then after you drive for like 5 min an alarm goes off and you have to blow in it again while driving. If you dont blow it sends a message to the cops and it is violation of probation. Also if you blow and fail it sends a message.

The only way around it is if someone sober is riding with you to blow in it whenever the alarm goes off...If thats the case they should be driving.

I really thought this was already a law.

Post Thanks / Like

I Hope It Helps And It Works!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 70,000

Thats amazing. I'm all for it.
    N2

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What stops them from just taking a different vehicle?

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was talking to a guy from work about this. He says some states issue an orange lisence plate for the cars. I guess at any time a cop can pull the car over and issue a breathalizer
    with out any other reason. Sounds like it would work also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast