Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Advice for hot weather fishin

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Advice for hot weather fishin

Just want to start a thread and get input from different folks on their secrets to being sucessful catching crappie in the summer. We have had some success fishing at night under the lights,but there has got to be some areas and techniques that we have not tried (longlineing in deep water) Had one old timer suggest long lining along deep bluff on outside bend in the river. Haven't tried this yet but just wondering if some of you could offer input.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is Wally Marshall , "Mr. Crappie" , with a 10 minute video for deep water crappie

YouTube - Crappie Fishing / Trolling

Here is my picture of this setup.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Here is Wally Marshall , "Mr. Crappie" , with a 10 minute video for deep water crappie

YouTube - Crappie Fishing / Trolling

Here is my picture of this setup.
    I have used the same setup for yrs. Only diff. is form the sinker I loop knot 24 in. and 12 in.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep fishing. Bring plenty of cold water. An umbrella or bimini top creates amazing shade. Fish deeper.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I found someone's baited hole one time on Gibbons Creek in Texas. It was located in about 12' of water right in the "Y" where to subordinate creeks met. It was baited with milo; I knew because the catfish would puke it up in my livewell. I rebaited it a couple of times and never did know whose hole it was. Nobody ever fished it but me at least on the weekends. One of these days i am going to do that here in Arkansas. Dang!!! "One of these days" has been 25 years now!!
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

great thread, had intended to post something similar myself.

We have found alot of fish dont migrate back out to the deep water, or at least not right away, as the temps climb.
    Biggest thing we have found is to be persistent, and cover alot of water. When it comes to fishing trees or standing timber, we might fish a dozen before we get a bite, might fish 50 before you catch a big one, but ya keep the boat moving, you'll cross paths with them.

HB

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up One method I use ...

... is to be on the water at first light, fish a jig around blowdowns on shaded banks (until the shade is gone) that have deep water under the blowdowns, or at least close by. I make a "milk run" of all the known blowdowns, in the order in which the shade decreases. I can usually tell if I need to spend more/less time on a particular blowdown ... by the size & frequency of the first few fish caught.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't fish in the summer when the sun is high and bright due to getting sun poisoning very easy. I will fish the days when it's cloudy and rain is in the forecast, early in the morning and deep. Minimum of 15 feet deep down to 20 feet. Usually many of these fish haven't been touched. Find a brush pile and cast jigs and tail. Hit as many as you can.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling 200 and 300 size Bandits works for me.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curious about "dock shooting".

From the vids and posts it appears that shooting docks is a mid summer tactic during warm/hot weather. Am I right on that?

I figured for the most part fish will go deep when the water temps start climbing. Is the dock shooting an early morning thing, or do the fish hit the shadows in the shallows under the docks during the mid day too?

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast