Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Fishing Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weekend Fishing Trip

Well guys, I'm finally going on the first trip of the year, but it is just a little one. We have about 7 of us going and 2 dogs as well, and we are going to Big Creek, which is right outside of Polk City, IA. Now, the weather forcasted is high of 91 Friday, 88 Saturday, and 89 Sunday. We're hoping to get on some gills so we can have some supper that night with the fish we catch, but with temperatures this hot I think it might be a challenge. Any and all panfish is what we'll be going for, weather it be Crappie, Blue Gill, Sunnies, etc.

Just curious about what depths we should be looking at setting the bobbers at. We'll be mostly fishing with worms and maybe some minnows, but I'll have my "green carp" (bass) lures on one of my poles.

Should be a good time, and we're renting a pontoon for whole day Saturday, which should be a great time! Hopefully I'll come back with some pictures of the catch!

Any advice is good advice, I think :rolleyes:
    "Drive it like you stole it"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
    Just curious about what depths we should be looking at setting the bobbers at.

It depends on the depth of the water. I always start on or near the bottom, so find out how deep the water is first of all. If you can't get bites on the bottom, split the water column into thirds. For example, if you're in 9' of water, set the float at 3'. If that doesn't work, try 6'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information, I have also found a map of the lake where I will be camping and fishing this weekend! Take a look!

IA DNR: Big Creek

The countour maps were to big to attach for some reason!

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry,
    You're best bet will be to look for visible cover that is right next to deep water, on a point or the mouth of a feeder creek is even better. With the hot weather, they may also be suspended over ledges where there is bait fish.

Good luck, I'm a native Iowan, transplanted to Kentucky.
    I'm just an ornery sinner saved by Grace:o

Post Thanks / Like

Even if u r bringing bait from home I would stop at local bait shops there to see what they suggest, may get some good ideas, ask the water temps. Nice looking lake with good shallow to deep water.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Do people jig for gills as well? I hear about people running tubes for them, I'm just hoping for a mess of fish!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Don't know about you guys ....

... but, I'd be getting some crickets and dropping them down any of the real deep points or cliff banks ... fishing no less than 10ft deep, and no deeper than 25ft, even if it meant not fishing all that close to the shore. Small gills/sunnies are going to be hanging around the bank, shallows, and the cover on it ... while the larger ones are more likely to be out away from the bank, and suspended (probably just above the thermocline, if there is one).
    On a very deep local lake, I used to get out away from the cliff banks and cast a cricket parallel to the cliff, and just let it swing back to the boat (no reeling in, until line was straight down). I used a #4 Water Gremlin pinch-on sinker & cricket hook. ANYTIME the line stopped sinking ... I set the hook !! And, of course, I set the hook when I felt a hit or the line started moving off to one side or the other I'd be doing this during the midday hours.

Early Am hours ... consider casting jigs to shoreline wood, on shaded banks, for Crappie action.
    Late evening hours ... consider dragging nightcrawlers near the bottom for Walleye, casting crankbaits along deep banks, or using a jig/waxworm under a float along any rocky/cliff banks (about 6-8ft deep) for gills & catfish. I like the "popeye" type jigs for this ... but, any 1/32oz hair/feather type jig will do. Works better during a full moon (spawn) period, but may still be productive during this new moon period.

If there's going to be 7 of you, on this one pontoon ... I hope it's a good sized one :p Don't know as I'd try and do any trolling ... but, if anchoring or tying up or in the case of no trolling motor --- it may be your best option. Have everyone put on a different bait, and ease along .... as best as the motor and wind will allow. No bigger than the lake is, you should be able to cover alot of it ... and be sure and make note of how/where the other anglers are fishing

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about a great indepth explanation! I'm hoping to be up and on the shore fishing early Saturday morning as we can't get the pontoon until 7 AM. Besides that, we'll be setting bobbers deep as can be if I can convince the guys to not try to shore fish as ntohing should be spawning anymore, and like you said, the big guys will be in the deeper and cooler water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    On a very deep local lake, I used to get out away from the cliff banks and cast a cricket parallel to the cliff, and just let it swing back to the boat (no reeling in, until line was straight down).

Herrington? That sounds like the method my dad and I used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
    nothing should be spawning anymore

I wouldn't rule it out, especially in Iowa. I've caught spawning bluegills well into August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast