PDA

View Full Version : Off Subject - What kind of snake is this?

Cracker68
06-24-2009, 08:37 AM
What kind of snake is this? Located in West Tennessee.
Before some of you freak....I ran over it in the yard and didn't see it.

I say it is a corn snake or milk snake. A friend says its a king snake.

Somebody should now.

Bluegilll
06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I hope its the best kinda snake ..... (dead 1 )
I dont know what kind it is myself but sure prayin its a dead 1 now.

DEADEYE
06-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Red milk snake,and they are in the king snake family

centerdriver
06-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Looks like a King Snake. King's and Coral's look a lot alike with the same colors but there is a rhyme you can remember. It has to do with which colors are touching.
Coral: Red touch yellow, kill a fellow.
King: Red and black, friend of Jack.

Black Crow
06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I believe that's a King Snake. That's a good snake. He'll help you out with mice and other pests around the yard. I doubt he'll be much help now :D.

superdave1984
06-24-2009, 10:10 AM
King snakes feed on other snakes. Very helpful to have around. They shouldn't give you any problems.

fishinRod
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
DEADEYE is correct, that is a red milk snake and it is in the king snake family, the scarlet king snake is the one that is commonly mistaken as a coral snake that the rhyme applies to. The pattern of the red milk snake is more like blotches while the scarlet king has well defined bands

SteveJ
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Google Image Result for http://milksnakes.com/pictures/encyclopedia/syspila1.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://milksnakes.com/pictures/encyclopedia/syspila1.gif&imgrefurl=http://milksnakes.com/encyclopedia/syspila.htm&usg=__Lk4ZZdpGALKWLzDAqoAsaLSFir0=&h=323&w=325&sz=87&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=Q5o5SeOSpTE9cM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dred%2Bmilk%2Bsnake%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX %26um%3D1)

Chill
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I saw a small (12" -14") snake that looked similar to that swimming in one of the coves here in Indiana at Raccoon Lake about a month ago when the water was way up.

skiptomylu
06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
That is one you want in your yard for sure. I have seen one of the king snakes ever year for about 5 years now and like him being here as they will keep the bad snakes away. The one I have is the one that has the little yellow dots all over him. First saw him when he as just about a foot long or a little more. He is about 4'-5' long now.

Too bad you killed him before you knew it.

Skip

blairarnold
06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Not a king snake or at least not the kind we've got around which are black with white to yellowish specks.

I wouldn't hurt a king snake for anything. They really will eat the bad snakes. I saw one once eating a water moccasin that was twice as long as he was. He had the head and about 6 inches of it swallowed when I saw him.

I also got a set of pictures emailed to me where a king snake was swallowing a pretty big rattlesnake. Those were impressive pictures, and the guy who took the pictures said it was rattling all the way down.

RCC
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Not a king snake or at least not the kind we've got around which are black with white to yellowish specks.

This is true. Not an Arkansas type of king snake.

skiptomylu
06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
This is true. Not an Arkansas type of king snake.

There are lots of different color for king snakes and the one as described above post is the king in my yard, but the one in the original post is also a king snake and here are a few pictures of some including the one that it the topic of this thread.
king snake (reptile) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/318555/king-snake)

Skip

crappiepastor
06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree that it is in the King Snake family and harmless. A lot of folk are afraid of snakes, but truth be told, even the poisonous ones do a whole lot of good keeping the rodent population in control. Most snake bites come about from surprising the snake, not the snake being aggressive. I used to raise rattle snakes - had over 100 of various kinds - and never even came close to getting bit. We used to keep bull snakes in the tack room to keep the mice from chewing on the leather sadles and bridels.

Crappie Reaper
06-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Too bad it was killed. According to the site SteveJ linked us, it's somewhat of a rare find.

Bluegill Bill
06-25-2009, 06:48 AM
I go by the old "Red touches Yellow will kill a fellow" and those color's ain't touching. Around in georgia I would have called it a Scarlet King Snake.

Crappie Buster
06-25-2009, 07:35 AM
That's definitely a king snake. The coloration of king snakes vary and we have several different colorations here in SC. This is what we call a scarlett King snake and it looks just like coral snake.

Red on yellow kills a fellow......Red on Black won't hurt Jack

ReelfootYankee
06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
What kind of snake is this? Located in West Tennessee.
Before some of you freak....I ran over it in the yard and didn't see it.

I say it is a corn snake or milk snake. A friend says its a king snake.

Somebody should now.

29775Years back before i learned the ropes down here i though it was a young coral snake till a good old boy showed me were they hang out i still go by the head and jaws, Allen see if you can post that picture of the friendly snake i encounterd a few mo. back, since i messed up my comp. and cant post a pic,:mad:

MaggiesMaster
06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Two of our cabin neighbors at Bear Creek Lake got into a fight over a king snake; one of them caught a king snake that stayed under the others house and took it to his to eat copperheads and mice. Now, we don't tell anyone when we see one in our yards.:)