Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question for any saltwater fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for any saltwater fisherman

I will be heading down to Carolina Beach, NC tomarrow. I have fished there for years and have been saltwater fishing much longer than I have crappie fishing. My question is how do you think Hurricane Ophelia will have affected the fishing?
    I know sometimes it can bring offshore fish closer in, but how will it effect inshore fishing? thanks
    What's worse, to be in church wishing you were fishin' or to be fishin' and know you should be in church?

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering the same thing as I have to go clean my wife's grandmother's yard after the storm.Was hoping to get some fishing in once the work is done.She lives in Shalotte about 40 miles south of wilmington.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from Myrtle Beach SC. I tried to fish off the pier on Sun 9-11. Nothing really was happening. They said the blues were running but had stopped blame the hurricane for that. The surf was pretty ugly when we left Tues. Maybe that will help some??? If not sorry.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gulf coast fisherman here...I generally assume the gulf will not be worth fishing until everything clears up and settles down. Temp, salinity, currents, visibility and everything else seem to push the fish deep or away to who knows where. But it all depends on where you are relative to the storm.

Inshore channels could be draining after the storm so that will be like a heavy tide and worth fishing. If you are in open water on what was the lee side of the storm, the fish may be a little less screwed up...and even may have made their own migratory adjustment there for safety.

And like we always say, you'll never catch em if you don't try, a boat ride is always fun if you don't catch em, and a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

It will need to clear up a few days - all the fresh water coming in will mess the fishing up fish tend to go deeper when storms move through - but will come back shallow whe the fresh water clears out and the salinity is back to normal - if you are pier fishing most of the piers will be closed until they can check out their structures and make sure they are safe - also you need to make sure they have power there was much of New Hanover Co. still out of power - the merchants want your business but everyone is making sure the area is safe and secure before folks start coming back in - although the full moon is Saturday Night and good fishing seems to be associated with the full moon
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow No expert....

...but here is a link to some....and some good general info...

http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=2
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........