Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pole Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pole Advice

I usually use fiberglass poles without reels and slow troll jigs and minnows under floats. I'm considering going to poles with guides and reels so that I can get the floats further away from the boat and also troll deeper using Capps/Coleman or similar rigs.
    The poles I use now are 14,16, and 20ft. long.
    What pole do you recommend? Cost is a factor because I will be buying 16 poles and reels.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Brad,

I sent you a PM.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Was it something I said? I've only gotten 1 response and that was from a local buddy. I'm not angry, just confused. Did I ask a stupid question?
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb NAW, Squirrel ....

it just takes a few days for people to respond, sometimes. You're asking a question about a specific method & rod type, which may not be utilized by a large number of members. Give it a little more time ... maybe those that could/would answer, have gone fishing :D ......... cp

ps - I'd have answered your question - but, the longest rods I own are only 8ft casting rods !

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad, I have some 7, 11, 12 & 13 ft sizes. 3 different brands I think. You are welcome to stop by and get a closer look before you order if you want.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use Wally Marshall's from Bass Pro. If you watch the webb site they will have a sale. They are offered in 6 lengths from 8 to 14 ft. These are the universal ones and sell for $39.99. On occassion they have them for $29.99.Wally reels are $19.99 but I think you can find as good cheaper.
    For Bass Pro use the link at the top of this page

I can also put you on someone who sells a less expensive brand of rod and reel.. The guys that tournament fish like them. If you are interested PM me and I will send you his name and address. He sells rods, reels, jigs and all sorts of plastics from his home.
    I use Mitchell 308 reels becuse I like the drag when I tight line. Most cheap open face reels will suffice if for pulling.
    20 ft rods with eyes are a little harder to find. Wally Marshall was them as tight line rods. They are stiffer than the universal ones. B n M also has a line that includes 20 ft. rods.
    http://www.bnmpoles.com/02_trolling_rods.html there is also a link at the top of the page.
    With regard to the lack of response. Perhaps the float pulling threw some people off. I realize it is popular on Buggs and in some area's of GA and ALA but perhaps some aren't familiar with it. I had never heard of that sort of technique ( rods with out guides) until I talked with Dave last year.
    I purchased 16 Wally Marshall's last year, well actually a few more. I like them because they are a little stiffer than some of the cheaper lines. I use them to tight line as well as pull, and the stiffer rod handles the 1 oz. sinker a little better in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Something to look at as I have not used these poles, but they are fairly new to the market and crappie fishermen in Texas are giving them rave reviews. Made by Jerry Hancock and Paul Obier that compete in many crappie tourneys.

visit: www.proanglertackle.com

Like I said they have not been out, but for several months so they have not had a longetivity test, but alot of people seem to really like them.

Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

get yourself a second mortgage and do it right. buy either the wally marshall's or the bnm's. i prefer the bnm's and have had zero problems with tip breakage. i got 2 16 footers 4 14 footers 2 12 footers 2 ten footers and 4 eight footers. i dont use them all at the same time, but i do troll with 8 of them in various lengths, and i have the 4 eights to troll out the back of the boat for company when they come along. my advice is that if you can only buy a few buy the good stuff. dont skimp on the poles. you will regret it a year or two down the road. you may want to try a different style of fishing, and have to reinvest in better equip. do it right the first time and you wont have to do it again