Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear rod holders...A Drifmaster hybred

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear rod holders...A Drifmaster hybred

Well, I been wanting to install Driftmasters on the rear of my boat for spider riggn, long lining or pulling cranks. I didn't want to install a holder on the floor of my boat and the rear of my boat doesn't have a deck. So I got a WM Double down for the rear (and use and add-a-seat on the front) and bought 3 sets of driftmasters (12 holders in all) and use 6 on the front with 2 factory holders and now 6 on the rear. If I want to run 8 on the front or the back they are on the boat and can be switched easily. This is the reason I wanted the same style holders on the front and the back, so they are interchangeable. Anyway, the back holders are 7/8 alum tubing. I have 7/8" railing holders that are almost 2" tall where the BOTTOM of the railing will rest (this is important as the cheap holders have less than an inch) to secure them to a jig I made to mount them to. With DM you have to be able to get to the wing nut to secure them so I cut a slot into the jig I made that holds them. The 2 end holders are just free floating on the bar and have about 3.5 inches of clearance to get your fingers under the holder to tighten the nut good. I used a pipe bender to put a small bend in the end so it curves around and the end holders are a little closer and adjust better this way. I cut about 3/4 of an inch off the 2 little bars of each rod holder as from the factory they are WAY too tall. I changed the wing nuts on a few of the holders as well as added one small strip of electric tape on the inside of the holder clamp and it seems to help it stick and stay in place under the pressure of a fish or whatever. I also secured every nut with a dab of contact cement so they won't vibrate and fall off. The tubing that the holders are attached to are off ebay. I got 3, 4 foot sections for $30 with shiping. I cut 2 of them to 3 feet long and placed a bend in them and used the last 4 foot sections to line up all the railing holders. Looks factory. I slid it out and slid the 3 footers in place. So they don't meet in the middle, That way a fish hits one not all 6 are moving just 3. The railing holders didn't have a set screw so I drilled a 9/32 hole into the side of each, then tapped it out for a 5/16 set screw. Took about 15 minutes to do all 4 of them. Where they meet in the middle that are isn't usable due to the engine width so I set the railing holders there. I'll add more as I think of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

looks good

Post Thanks / Like

for sure

Backwaters of Grenada Lake, Yalobusha Bottom
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you like the add -a- seat?
    Wishin' I Was Fishin'

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks Like Thatll Work---
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice install,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Man.
    Allatoona Bandit

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking set up, you're ready now.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Man that's a clean-lookin' set-up you have there.

Some day I'll figure out something for the back of the pontoon boat. But for now, it's all I can do to keep two rods out of the brush piles. :D

aj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast