Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2 Questions for the Crappie Catchers

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 Questions for the Crappie Catchers

First, what size jig bodies do you use? 2" 3"?

Second, I seem to catch a lot of big crappies trolling crankbaits for walleyes. But, when I go back to the area where I caught the crappie I can't "buy" another bite. Graph shows lots of arches, but no fish. What do I need to do?

Post Thanks / Like

There was a good discussion a while back on the size of lures people use. See: http://www.crappie.com/crappie/misso...-lure-use.html. Sorry can't help you with the crank bait question. But, I do get the same response from crappie. There seems to be peek feeding times, and other times the shut off like a light switch.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie can certainly be tightlipped at times. Try fishing the most shallow of the arches you see as the upper fish are usually the more active. Remember to fish S-L-O-W. Good luck.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie will hit a crankbait real well in the summer. Alot of those are reaction strikes. If you use that to your favor, you can catch a bunch of slab crappie. Look for schools of shad and troll through them and hang on. Its a great method for locating fish and covering alot of water.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Something that I have been doing lately is have a long rod rigged up with a 1/4 oz. jig with a Stroll"R on it. When I see a situation like you describe I make a long cast, as far as possible, count down to the level of the fish and swim it back at a steady pace trying to maintain a constant depth. This works really good on big crappie and if there is any whites or hybrids in the mix they'll whack it too. Electric chicken has been probably the best color with a hot pink head. Good luck!