Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jiggin Joe Wants To Know

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jiggin Joe Wants To Know

Hello

I just picked up a old 14' fiberglass boat that is in really nice shape but it has been weathered and is very faded so I would like to paint it. my question is how lol what kind of paint should I use and any certain kind of sealer? The boat doesnt seem to have been painted before just a natural fiberglass color so I believe just a good cleaning and it should be ready to paint.

Thanks
    JJ
    So do I. this was posted on the mech's forum for 3 days and no answers so I thought I'd move it here.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Have you stopped at any of the your marine dealers. They should be able to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

hey wannabe, when I worked at a body shop we repaired numerous fiberglass boat hulls that had been damaged by stumps, docks, rocks, ect. We used an acrylic enamel, (automotive paint with a hardener) pick it up at your automotive store. Hope this helps you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell your paint dealer you're wanting to paint fiberglass. They'll be happy to point you in the right direction and give you advice on prep.

Might try searching google or youtube, as well.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you scoff up lhe fiberglass before you paint it it will help the paint stick
    Just my two cents:D

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help I will post pics of the process from start to finish when it is done.

JJ
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good step by step info here. Scroll down to the bassboat restoration forum. Less than 1/4 way down.

Main: BBC Boards

Dayton

Dave Willis is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was TNT on the Ga board that bought an old boat and some kind of cleaner to make it look new without painting.I don't have time to search for the post now.I don't know if this will work but,http://www.crappie.com/crappie/georg...w-project.html
    Last edited by Dave Willis; 06-23-2009 at 03:55 AM.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiggin Joe, the prep before the paint is more important than the paint IMHO. If'n you dont get it right you get to do it again. Load it up and take it by the paint supply house or a body man you know and get the skinny, you won't regret it. I've seen some looked real bad, peeling and such. Enjoy the new toy, always better when you make em nice.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

if it will help,,,,cdc member scrapper had a post about oxcidation removal on 1-1-09 very good info ,,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER