Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday at Smtihville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunday at Smtihville

It was hot and windy today. Headed to my normal spot today (by Trimble) at 3:00 pm. I should have started out in the morning. Getting there I knocked out some teeth because the waves were white capping. I’m glad I put in the new extra cushion boat seats. Got to my spots and the wind and waves spoiled things. Headed back to the W bridge (knocked out the rest of my teeth). Surprising the wind wasn't bad at the bridge. Usually if you get a 5 knot wind on the lake, the wind under the W bridge is blowing at 25 knots - but not today. Fish weren't biting, but I wasn't cooking in the sun. Did anyone check the forecast for next week; someone is going to turn the oven on. Hot, hot, and more hot. Anyway, tried to hit some main lake coves. There were so many boats and when I say boat, there are some large boats at Smithville these days. Saw quite a few cabin cruisers. With the wind and the wakes the boats were kicking up, a mud streak was spilling into the coves. So, cut out early and hope the heat will scare some people off next week. Anyone else do better than me today?
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my latest haunts. Anyone else fishing furthur up north? If so, how's the fishing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by APKape; 06-22-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning Alex! I had good luck under the W bridge, but all were shorts. Fished up by the dam hoping to get out of the wind, and caught two keepers, both 12-13 in. You are correct in the amount of boats that were out, and its the main reason I really dont care to go to Smithville. Its amazing the amount of people that cant read NO WAKE in about 2ft. letters as well as the bouys. Water patrol came by, told him he could have written a years worth of tickets with the no wake violations. Anyway tried some other places but no luck, the wind was absolutely brutal, as Im sure you know. Still, it was a day on the water, and that beats anything. Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday was SLOW for the fishing. Waves were very big and the boats are getting bigger.............. I start earlly on weekends and end earlly to avoid that mess......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeinMo View Post
    Sunday was SLOW for the fishing. Waves were very big and the boats are getting bigger.............. I start earlly on weekends and end earlly to avoid that mess......
    I think that's going to be my plan for now on. Start out at 7:00 or so and get off by 1:00. I notice that all the boats hit the water after the lunch hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Summer weekends at smithville one word CRAZY. Went out sat @7am ramp @noon caught 12 nice crappie and one cat, got the cat while drifting for Walleye. Got Crappie down 12-18' fishing piles of brush in about 30'. Anybody caught any Walleye, can't seem to find them this year. Good Fishing Guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by likestofish View Post
    Summer weekends at smithville one word CRAZY. Went out sat @7am ramp @noon caught 12 nice crappie and one cat, got the cat while drifting for Walleye. Got Crappie down 12-18' fishing piles of brush in about 30'. Anybody caught any Walleye, can't seem to find them this year. Good Fishing Guys
    I met some guys last week that said they had gook luck trolling the west side of the lake south of W Bridge. And that's all I know about walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave P. from St. Joe knows about Smithville Walleye. He gave me some good tips on catching them, but so far have had no luck finding them. You might give him a shout if you are interested. Also the guy that owns Burtons Bait and Tackle in Smithville knows a lot. Hope this helps, Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Went out for a while this morning caught 1 keeper 4 shorts two of which was just over 9(I only keep 10 inch and up) and one bass. Pitched them all back, to hot for me.Fished the trees 9 TO 10 FT down in 20 to 30 fow bite real slow.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Took my dad out Saturday morning, pre-father's day and ended up with 20 keepers. A couple were 13", most in the 11"+. Fishing over all was a little on the slow side.

Couldn't agree more with you about the boats. By the way, it's not Trimble Lake area any more.....it's Party Cove. Go up above W on Camp Branch side and you can endure all of the tubers.

Not only could they write tickets..........they should be writing tickets.

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast