Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bed locating.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Bed locating.

[Hi Fellers:
    I don't want to sound like a complete dummy, but is there any tell tale signs you look for when trying to locate brim beds in stained or cloudy water??I've had people tell me they can smell a bed ,others say watch for tiny bubbles. I really don't believe it.I don't think I ever saw a crappie bed . Do they scoop out a nest like brim or not? Thanks for any info..
    Ledhed

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Well ndchan...

you CAN smell a Bluegill bed area I don't know why, and I forget what it smells like ... but, I've done it before. You can't, however, "smell" a Crappie bed area. And you probably aren't likely to "see" one, either. They generally pick a bedding sight that is just below the level, of enough light penetration, to actually "see" the bed (from above the water's surface). Of course, if the water is very shallow and very clear ... all over a particular body of water, or in the only suitable spawning areas, of that body of water ... then you may be able to see the beds, and probably the bedding fish. But, of course, that depends on the state, and waters within that state, that you fish. It has been my experience, in the lakes I fish in Ky, Tn, & Ala, that the Crappie beds are not usually visible (due to water clarity & cover used). ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

you can smell bedding areas if they are large enough, but in stained water or muddy water, they are still very hard to locate.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    you CAN smell a Bluegill bed area I don't know why, and I forget what it smells like ... but, I've done it before. You can't, however, "smell" a Crappie bed area. And you probably aren't likely to "see" one, either. They generally pick a bedding sight that is just below the level, of enough light penetration, to actually "see" the bed (from above the water's surface). Of course, if the water is very shallow and very clear ... all over a particular body of water, or in the only suitable spawning areas, of that body of water ... then you may be able to see the beds, and probably the bedding fish. But, of course, that depends on the state, and waters within that state, that you fish. It has been my experience, in the lakes I fish in Ky, Tn, & Ala, that the Crappie beds are not usually visible (due to water clarity & cover used). ............ cp
    Best I remember its sort of an "oily" smell. I got to be real close to smell them but a friends of mine can smell them from way off.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The odor is strong oily/fishy smell. You really can't miss it once you have experienced it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nose like a dog

YOu fellows that can smell out those bream beds are pretty good. I just have to keep moving that cricket around but it ususally dont take long because I know about where the beds will be, depth etc.
    I have been planning to train my Squirrel dog to sniff them out but just havent gotten around to it(couple years to retirement and then I can do all those things, maybe). I know they use cadaver dogs to finds bodies that are way below surface so Im sure a good Yellow Black Mouth cur or other treeing dog or Lab could do well. I can see them sitting in the front of my boat now, me just trolling around waiting for the alarm to go off.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the male crappie fan a bed with their tail. He then goes out to a transition zone (deeper water with cover) to get a female and brings her back to the bed to spawn. She may stay for a little while (I know this because Jerry and I both have caught males and females on the beds in very shallow water), but once done, she'll go back to the transition area to wait on another male while the first male stays and guards the bed until the fry leave the nest. He will then clean the bed and go for it again.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't heard anyone talk about a cur dog in awhile Fellow I used to
    work with had one, and we squirrel hunted with him a couple times, big fun.
    His cur got old and died though, and haven't seen the man in a couple of years. That would be neat to have a four-legged fishfinder. I've been
    thinking about bringing one of ours fishing just for company, but the choices
    are pretty limited - all but one of ours are so old, they can't get around good,
    and the one, he is a Chi... can't spell it, a taco bell dog. He is so nervous,
    I don't think he would enjoy fishing much. Was hoping for a Border Collie
    pup from my Father-in-law, but his female chewed into a closed jug of
    anti-freeze, and you know the rest...
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I Asked One Of The Dock Hands At Reelfoot About The Bubbles And Finding
    Bluegill Nests. He Said The Bubble Thing Was Something They Just Told
    The Tourists To Keep Them From Finding The Locals Beds. We Found A
    Couple Of Bluegill Beds, But There Were No Bubbles To Be Seen. I Asked A Few Successful Fisherman If They Fished The Areas With Bubbles. They
    Thought I Was Crazzy. Don't Care Much For The Bubble Theory.
    Chef

Post Thanks / Like

I'm jumping with another yes on smelling bream beds. You can smell them. If the water isn't real stained/muddy, you can also see them. Haven't seen the first bubble on a bed though. Never seen a crappie bed.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast