Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat mechanic question about steering?????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat mechanic question about steering?????

I have a '95 17ft Spectrum which I outfitted with a 60 HP Merc Bigfoot back in March of this year.

Problem:

The steering is real loose. Is there a damper adjustment on the steering to tighten the steering. If so, where is it? I can't let loose of the steering wheel because of the torque. Trim tab on lower unit is full tilt, but boat still torques hard right. I know there ought to be an adjustment somewhere in the steering.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I have a '95 17ft Spectrum which I outfitted with a 60 HP Merc Bigfoot back in March of this year.

Problem:

The steering is real loose. Is there a damper adjustment on the steering to tighten the steering. If so, where is it? I can't let loose of the steering wheel because of the torque. Trim tab on lower unit is full tilt, but boat still torques hard right. I know there ought to be an adjustment somewhere in the steering.
    Hey Tom, are you sure you have the trim tab adjusted in the right direction? Standing in back of the boat, if it pulls to the right, adjust the back of the tab to the right. You would think it would go the other way but it doesn't. What you are doing is compensating for the torque of the prop. That new motor shouldn't be pulling in either direction.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Hey Tom, are you sure you have the trim tab adjusted in the right direction? Standing in back of the boat, if it pulls to the right, adjust the back of the tab to the right. You would think it would go the other way but it doesn't. What you are doing is compensating for the torque of the prop. That new motor shouldn't be pulling in either direction.
    Hey Bill,

It will only go from center and to the left. One direction only. Left meaning standing aft, looking foward from the rear of the boat.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN

Alos, when out of water, the engine will flop from one side to the other when I trim it up. No resistance at all
    in the steering....

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is why its pulling to the right. I've never seen one that wouldn't go both directions. Don't know about the steering.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a new motor or used one and you bought it from a dealer I would take it back to have them check it out. Sounds like something got stripped in the linkage, or came undone. Has it done this since you got it or something that just started lately.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Cable or/and steering head...

Alos, when out of water, the engine will flop from one side to the other when I trim it up. No resistance at all
    in the steering....
    ..first, is this no-feedback steering system....???
    ..second...if it is you have bad cable or stripped steering head--what st wh. hooks to....especially if this is org. equip...
    ..third..no adj to take slop out of steering
    ..hope this helps some..
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KARL
    ..first, is this no-feedback steering system....???
    ..second...if it is you have bad cable or stripped steering head--what st wh. hooks to....especially if this is org. equip...
    ..third..no adj to take slop out of steering
    ..hope this helps some..
    My old Bumble Bee had a knob that I could tighten or losten to control the artificial feel of the steering. I guess it dont exist anymore.

I don't know bout the rest of the stuff u talking about. You over me head here.
    If it ain't got a wire going to it, I don't know much about it...

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default ONE more....

My old Bumble Bee had a knob that I could tighten or losten to control the artificial feel of the steering. I guess it dont exist anymore.

I don't know bout the rest of the stuff u talking about. You over me head here.
    If it ain't got a wire going to it, I don't know much about it...

Tom
    ..thing,Tom... easiest of all...... :o .duh....stand by the motor, have someone turn steerwheel.....make sure that nothing else on boat moves but motor...no bracket/arm on mtr...just mtr......if it does check why??...just cable from sw to mtr..every thing else is causing steering sloop.....every moving object besides motor is that much more you have to turn wheel......does that make sense???....my curiosity is peaked now!!!!!..I'll do a little hands on research t-moro....trying to visualize all gearing and such...making me head hurt :rolleyes: ...time for my medication...be back 5pm'ish-fri...KARL

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Little late....

...getting back..puter prob........couple more ideas,Tom.....at end of steering cable there is large nut where it connects to steering tube...you can try tightening this nut some---it will take up some slack in cable..and tighten some...

when your motor is flopping is st.wheel moving and how much does it flop.???also to be clear; is it just no tension on wheel..?? or just alot of "play" in steering........Just give me a shout and I'll try to help...... ..Karl