Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sac Perch ATTACKED at Crowley Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sac Perch ATTACKED at Crowley Lake

I'll let the pictures do all the talking. These Sac perch are very similar to crappie. They fight and behave just like them. So our method of fishing them didn't change much. IMO they also taste better than crappie because of the high fat content in their body.

Got to the spot a little late because someone over slept.

First fish of the day.

Then come some nicer fish.

And some more.

And some more.

The tally for the end of day one.

The first day of fishing was a success. After cleaning and icing the fish we cooked up dinner.

The second day started out a bit warmer than the day before.

It took us a while to find the fish, but it was game on after that.

Seng with a nice sac perch.

Half way through the day and we caught about this much. Note it was a slower day of fishing today.

We end up with a few more fish and called it a day.
    All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better trip up north. Great company and great fishing made this an epic trip.
    Total number fish caught for 2 days of fishing: 150 plus
    Bait use: Crappie jigs(color didn't matter) tip with nibblets.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet. If you like nibbles, try the bait pump (works great with tube jigs). NICE CATCH. Those look like a cross between a crappie and a triple tail.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you guys had a heck of a trip,those are some nice fish, thanks for the pics.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish. They look like a cross between a crappie and rockbass. I think rockbass taste better than crappie too. Those have to be some sweet eats. Congrats on a fine trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd opt for the looking like a cross between a crappie and a rock bass, but about 2/3 crappie and 1/3 rock bass.

Where is this lake?

Post Thanks / Like

beautifull looking fish, Ive never seen those before. Can someone provide more info on that species?
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

This is an awesome report! You guys had to have had one great day. I've never heard of a Sacperch. They look to be an excellant size fish and can see the resemblance to Crappie. The area you're fishing is absolutely beautiful. Tell us more about the lake. Is it the one in California? I had never heard of it before, but it looks like one heck of a spot to live around. Thanks for the report!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

nice catch excellent pictures
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    This is an awesome report! You guys had to have had one great day. I've never heard of a Sacperch. They look to be an excellant size fish and can see the resemblance to Crappie. The area you're fishing is absolutely beautiful. Tell us more about the lake. Is it the one in California? I had never heard of it before, but it looks like one heck of a spot to live around. Thanks for the report!
    Sac Perch is short for Sacramento Perch it is a native California fish. From Wikipedia:

The Sacramento perch (Archoplites interruptus) is a sunfish (family Centrarchidae) native to the Sacramento–San Joaquin, Pajaro, and Salinas River areas in California but widely introduced throughout the western United States.

The Sacramento perch's native habitat is in sluggish, vegetated waters of sloughs and lakes. It can reach a maximum overall length of 61 cm (24 in) and a maximum weight of 3.6 kg (8 lb), and it has been reported to live as long as six years.

A. interruptus is currently the only species of genus Archoplites Gill, 1861, but Girard had originally assigned it to Centrarchus. The generic name, Archoplites, derives from the Greek άρχος (ruler, in this sense "anus") and οπλίτης (bearing a shield).

Although called the Sacramento perch, A. interruptus is not a perch strictly speaking; the perches are members of the genus Perca in family Percidae.

Great report and catch. I'm gonna have to plan a trip up there soon looks like a blast.

Milo
    Last edited by Milo; 06-20-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go poker...Great catch and pics...Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast