Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Mercury 9.9 quit last weekend, anyone know the Merc 9.9?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1997 Mercury 9.9 quit last weekend, anyone know the Merc 9.9?

Anyone know anything about 2 stroke 9.9 Mercs? This is a '97 model that came on my 14ft jon that I bought used a year and a half ago.

Took the wife and son out to a local lake and noticed my boat lacking some power. After about 20 minutes the power really dropped off and things seemed a bit warmer than usual, so I checked to make sure water was shooting out the "releif" hole, it was and it was HOT! Motor didn't seem too hot, but warmer than typical. After shutting it down and catching a few brim to pass the time I tried to fire it back up and it wouldn't go. It would trun over, but not catch or even sputter. Pulled my shoulder real good pulling it for the 50th time, so we trolled back with the trolling motor.
    Checked the motor and it seems to be getting gas, replaced the plugs, still no start. This is weird because it was always a 1 pull motor that started every time. Seems like I'm not getting much spark. i pulled the cover, checked the electrical connections, pulled some more, but still nothing.
    Anyone know how to remove the flywheel to get at the coils?
    Looks like I'm back to paddle power for a little while, but I want to get this thing going before the crappie get hungry. I posted on iboats.com, but haven't receved much response yet. Thought someone on hear may know Merc outboards.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

Check your compression first. After that, check your coils. Make sure they don't have any cracks in them. They may be under your flywheel. I don't know Merc's that well. Try posting any other questions you have on themarinedoctor.com. That guy is a Merc guru.

Post Thanks / Like

How does the flywheel come off? i put a wrench on the bolt, but it didn't move. Does it require any special tools?
    I'm thinking coils too, just not sure how to get the flywheel off to get to them. Thanks for the heads up on the marinedoctor website.
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a picture of the flywheel? That nut is torqued on pretty tight and you will need to buy a flywheel puller at an auto parts house. You'll need the kind that bolts to the flywheel. NOT THE 3 ARM TYPE THAT GRABS THE OUTER PART OF THE FLYWHEEL!!! Also, the flywheel will be stuck on once you get the nut off. DO NOT HIT THE FLYWHEEL OR BOLT WITH A HAMMER!!!!

Get a service manual as well. You'll need it for the proper torque numbers. It's VERY important that you torque the flywheel nut properly.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a flywheel puller or a digicam for pictures. After pulling the recoil start mechanism, it just has a big nut over the flywheel and the coils are under it. I'll have to check on the puller and see if I can find one that fits. A repair manual is a good idea, i'll see if I can find one of those to.

Any tricks for holding the flywheel still while I loosen the bolt?

Post Thanks / Like

I just put a towel on the edge of the flywheel and hold it with my hand OR use a pneumatic impact wrench.

A flywheel puller only costs about $15. You may need to buy some extra bolts in case the ones that come with the puller don't fit your flywheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like the engine was starting to sieze then finally quit.
    Are your spark plugs coming out wet after pulling the rope?
    Sometimes it hard to see the spark on a plug in the bright sunlight, can you hear them "snapping" when pulling the rope?
    If the water was scalding hot, and there was very apparent steam, I would look into a compression issue.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

try this site doc is a merc. teck http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

you can use a harmonic balancer puller to remove the flywheel on mercs, kind of sounds like your head gasket has gone out. when you do get it running be sure to replace the impeller. if you haven't already go talk to your local boat mechanic or any mechanic that you trust they can often times give you alot of help for free.

Post Thanks / Like

My 88 Motor Did The Same Thing. It Had Carbon In The Exhaust Tube That Goes Down And Out The Prop. Mecrs Are Known This And After Its Cleaned Out Yamaha Ring Free In Every Tank Of Gas Will!!! Help It Too NOT Carbon Agian. Let Us Know What It Is.
    Last edited by BORIGINI; 09-14-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast