Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: myth or fact???

Post Thanks / Like

Default myth or fact???

I have heard a few people say that once the water temp warms up in the summer time that crappie meat becomes mushy. Is this true? I am fairly new to crappie fishing and this will be the 1st year I actively pursue crappie through out the full year. I do catch and release most of the time (95% of the time). But from time to time keep enough for a meal or two. Any thoughts? Also I want to say thanks to every one willing to share info/knowledge/techniques, I have caught bigger and more crappie than I have ever in the past thanks to a lot of you guys. My 9 year old son and I have had a blast doing so. Hope every one has a blessed fathers day weekend, God bless all.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I would say yes, the meat does get softer. Don't know about down south, but from early spring or late fall and winter in Ohio, it is much more firm. Summer meat kinda falls apart once it is unthawed.

Bluegill meat seems to stay pretty solid thru out all seasons.... I tell my 4yr old boy it's chicken and he buys it........ :D:D:D He says he doesn't like fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha attica!!! That's funny. Probably works cause every thing taste Like chicken ha ha. Got a good giggle out of that one. God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree, cold water crappie taste better. Of course that doesn't mean that I won't eat summer crappie, but I don't catch as many in the summer months and fish for the good tasting bluegills.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree maybe, there isn't much difference though, when it gets really hot I like to keep mine in a cooler with ice. much nicer to clean too. Try em see what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

If the fish are taken care of properly, I can't see any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I never have noticed any difference either.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I say they do get mushy. I think it may be something to do with the oils in the meat. Tried the fish in the cooler with ice and didn't seem to make any difference, still mushy.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rockmike.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

Keep them on ice, firms up any fish flesh. The longer they are in the livewell during the summer, the worse it will be. catching them out of warm water and cleaning within an hour or so, probably wont notice a differece, leave them in there all day, and you'll see a difference. Its a win/win situatuion to ice your catch down. if you dont wanna fool with all the ice needed, freeze some water bottles, and keep them in the livewell, keeps the water cool.

HB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast