Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where's da bigguns hanging out?

kerr Guest

Wink where's da bigguns hanging out?

Hello to all and a DUMB question. Do the bigger crappie hang out with the little ones or are they afraid it aint cool to hang with the little guys and hang out at another stump? :rolleyes: The wife and I have been doing pretty well this summer it seems the hotter the better we are doing. But at times you cant feed the 6-8 inch ones fast enough.There is a 10" min. where we fish. We usually just move when all the little ones show up for a easy feed. Are we wrong? We have had a darn good summer crappie fishing with about 115 in the freezer all over 10", quita few 12"ers, and "1" 14.3/4 biggen! In our short fishing time I have noticed that they are useualy about the same size big or little.Dang big fun for sure whatever size! So, how do crappie gather or hang out or are fish like other critters and are where you find em? I want A MONSTER! :D

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably wrong but someone told me that the bigger crappies are with the smaller ones but just a little deeper. Now if you are catching them in 3 feet of water and they are holding at 2.5 feet then chances are the bigger ones aren't there. Like I said I was told this I've yet to find out because I can't catch any fish. I'm sure someone else will come along and give you some more help.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie usually school with their hatch year. So usually you will catch either big ones or little ones. This is not always the case as there could be several hatch years relating to the same cover or structure. They do generally stick together with their hatch, thus explaining why you catch alot of little ones in some areas and bigger ones in some areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Ne. I am catching all sizes off the same tree piles. The main spot I fish has a fairly large pile and runs from 13ft at an angle out to about 18 ft. This pile is about 25 feet long. I just keep moving around this pile with the trolling motor and I catch 10 inchers up to 13-1/2 incher working my way around it. They all seem to be in this pile together. Other places I fish they seem to be as crappieseeker said and are in year class.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

kerr Guest

Thanks fellas.We are blessed to be able to fish this 100 acre lake that is flooded woods with a creek bed running through it . The average depth is around 12" the creek channal is a little deeper with the dam on the north end about 300 yards long getting about 20' deep where the bulldozers dug to build the dam . close to the dam is the only place there aint alot of brush. So, we need ta keep looking till we find the bigger ones before we tie up.The wife got another one 15" 1/2 today! :p with about 8 keepers and 12 youngsters. All we use is minnows, what you fellas using around lots of brush?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kerr I see where ya said tie up why dont ya get ya a couple long poles and some pole holders and slow troll the heck out of the thing I feel sure ya will find the big boys that way them good old minners are hard to beat good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Kerr, I use jigs 95% of the time. I have more success over time with jigs. If you ever get hooked on jig fishing and get good at it, those minnows will be on the back burner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerr
    Thanks fellas.We are blessed to be able to fish this 100 acre lake that is flooded woods with a creek bed running through it . The average depth is around 12" the creek channal is a little deeper with the dam on the north end about 300 yards long getting about 20' deep where the bulldozers dug to build the dam . close to the dam is the only place there aint alot of brush. So, we need ta keep looking till we find the bigger ones before we tie up.The wife got another one 15" 1/2 today! :p with about 8 keepers and 12 youngsters. All we use is minnows, what you fellas using around lots of brush?
    Kerr is this a farm pond or private lake or public lake? 15-1/2 in fish is pretty good if it is a public lake and being that small.

Post Thanks / Like

Your lake sounds about like a little 105 acre public lake outside the town where I live. The NRD didn't clear any of the brush or cut any of the trees, except from where they took the dirt from, to build the dam. The problem with them doing this is, it scattered the fish all over the lake and is hard to pin point the crappie because there is so much brush in the lake. I find the biggest crappie in the tree lines along and in the creek channels, and they are suspended. My best spot is the last tree line before it opens out in the burrow, (where they took the dirt for the dam), area. I tie to a tree just inside the tree line and will sit here and wait for the fish to come to me. I catch small ones, but also catch the bigger ones to. The biggest I have caught out of this spot has been 15-3/4 in Black Crappie. If you find a good spot the fish will come and go if it is a good feeding spot. Different size class will use it at different times. If you are patient and want to just sit on a spot, the good fish will come by.

Post Thanks / Like

I have come to the conclusion that the crappie here in cajun land just don't play by the rules. I have read just about all the books they have on crappie fishing and watched so many videos I lost count and I have yet to find them to be where or doing what they say they should be doing. We are catching crappie in less than 2 feet of water at high noon and the water is a good 87-90 degrees. By all counts they should be deep, shouldn't they?
    I guess the reason is the stained water we have. The light does not penetrate as deep.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast