PDA

View Full Version : BnM Pole Problem

crappie cowboy
06-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Are any of yall having problems with your BnM poles breaking with hardly any presser on them?, I've had 2 break with very light presser on them.
I've been using Wally Marshall poles the last few years, and this year I bought
9 BnM poles from Monk's site. My BnM's seem so brittle compared to the Wally Marshall poles, I may have to go back with the Wally Marshall.

crappie cowboy

gbaddour1
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
ive had the same problem with my bnm jig poles i have to buy a new tip for them every year. they will just snap with very little pressure. i also have the wally marshall tightlines and run 5oz weights on them and have never broke a tip. and have hooked some big gar on them too. no complaints with the wm poles.

pwbuilding
06-17-2009, 12:52 PM
if you have the money, buy a kenkor. i have used the same poles for 6 years
still usin them

barry davis
06-17-2009, 01:09 PM
That stinks huh. Those BnM poles arent exactly cheap either. Theyre bout 45 bucks here in central Arkansas. With that luck matbe you should go back to WM rods. How much do they typically run ?

DonDon
06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
caught SEVERAL stripers and a 17 1/2 pound drum in the last couple weeks and had no problems

sls
06-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Bought a Super Sensitive Sam Heaton couple of years ago @BPS in Memphis. Put a jig on it dropped it in, about 11-12 " crappie hit it , set the hook snapped in half. Took it back, gave another one, 8" crappie hit, set hook same thing same place, took it back, told'em I never wanted to see another one. Been using Richard Williams poles, before BM bought him out, no problems, hope RW doen't let BM change his poles

Cracker68
06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I've have the Richard Williams Crappie Wizards (bought before he sold to BM) and The Wally Marshall and they are tough and I've caught some big cats on both and NO BREAKS
And I wouldn't take new price for my crappie wizard rods

I decided to try a B&M about the third trip it broke off. Snagged a stump and only had 6 lb test on it.

foul hook
06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I have 16 WM Pro series and signature series that I have had for 3 yrs. Trouble free.

Outlaw1&2
06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Folks listen, I have been using BnM Poles for 25 years I still have some that old ready to fish right now. I am sure that if you give BnM the chance to see if they can make it right they will. Jack stands behind what he makes bottom line. I have had problems with all brand name poles, some my fault, some not, but I still have and fish my BnMs.

JSC
06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
If you have trouble with BnM poles just call them state your problem and they will fix it for you.

I know from selling (Wholesale distribution) that all of them have problems at one time or another .... most of the time it will be a bad run of poles and several cases of the same size poles will have a problem ... I have sold BnM and others as well as we were the importer and distributor of the Bruin Silver Bream Poles, Red Holland Poles, and Crappie Magic (these were ... to the best of my knowladge .. the first of the Crappie Poles ... 1980's).

We were having a series of bait casting rods breakinig in the same place .. came to be that at the plant in Japan that they were made like 4 stories up and they had made a Plywood "chute" that was stuck out the window and the cases were "launched" down the chute .... to steep of an angle and the shock was causing the rods to break when used in the same spot ...

Never a dull moment in the Pole - Rod business.
If the maker will not back them up .. I would not buy them .. but in all fairness give them a chance.

My 2 cents worth.

Hope that helps

JSC
:)

thankfull
06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I had a problem with some and jack took care of it, been using 16 of them for over 20 years.

crappie cowboy
06-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I would have contacted BnM,but I thought I'd get the run around. What is Jack's last name, I will try to contact him and see if he can help.
I'm not trying to put down BnM poles, I was seeing if anybody else was having
the same problem as I was thats all.

crappie cowboy

drill instructor
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Call 1800-647-6363 or 662-494-5092, they will take care of you

coastal bend
06-17-2009, 07:43 PM
I bought 2 B/M 8' from Cabelas and on one of them the frist eye from the butt was way out of line. Sent it back. The first time I took the new one fishing the tip end broke . I got the replacement and then put it on the rod rack. I will stick to angler-pro rods. never had a problem with them.

pstone
06-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Jack Wells...

speck chaser
06-17-2009, 07:58 PM
b&m will stand behind their products great rods

luvjign
06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I've got to give a thumbs up for BnM poles. I've got four 10' BGJP's I've had for ages that I jig fish with. They're the old ones with the wire eyes and the short solid foam handles with floating reel seat rings on them, and I've caught many a chunk crappie on them, and abused them over and over trying to free a jig from a top. Three of them still have the original wire-eye tip halves. Got two of the 10' BnM Customs.......same story. I don't know about today's poles, as I haven't bought any in a while, but from what I've read on here, I think Jack Wells will make things right with most (if not all) problems. That just speaks volumes for Customer Satisfaction in any business in today's business world.

speckfinder
06-18-2009, 04:29 AM
used bnm's for years, never broke one while fishing.

Speck
06-18-2009, 05:13 AM
I broke a B&M JP10 this spring just seting the hook on a 10" crappie. Its good to know that they will stand behind their product. I will contact them.

talltimber
06-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Great customer service at BnM.

JSC
06-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Just a added word about breaking poles.

I have mentioned it before in another thread ...

If the break is clean .. 90% of the time it is a defect.

If the break is "Soft" it has been bruised and will not break until you get it at just the right angle before it will collapse (sp) ...

They can get brusied real easy ...

Seen many of both BUT ... Most were "Soft" Breaks.

Might need to cut the mfg a little slack as it could be your fault and not even know it happened.

My 2 cents worth (with inflation that is really cheap)

JSC
:)

Cracker68
06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
I like the pole but It broke way to easy. It must have been a defect because it was clean break. I asked about a replacement and they said they would sell me a replacement tip. So much for standing behind it.
Also a buddy was with me when I bought mine and he bought one and
it also broke.

My real point after that rant is... I don't want to mess with it breaking after limited use and have to replace even once or twice a year whether it be free fix or pay fix.

rocket rich
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Jack

Jack Wells really took care of me BIG TIME Thanks again Jack B&M stands behind it's user's and it's products

ReelfootYankee
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I like the pole but It broke way to easy. It must have been a defect because it was clean break. I asked about a replacement and they said they would sell me a replacement tip. So much for standing behind it.
Also a buddy was with me when I bought mine and he bought one and
it also broke.

My real point after that rant is... I don't want to mess with it breaking after limited use and have to replace even once or twice a year whether it be free fix or pay fix.Iam that bud, first few 10 inch fish ok but i had hooked a nice slab and raised the rod and snapped it ( clean break) lost the fish and was dumbfounded! it did'nt supprise me none but p****ed me off becuase thats rod tip #4 that i have hanging around and that was what i consider a high dollar rod! I like to get what i pay for and have to bring a reciept back but you cant beat the actoin of a B$M rod i soon went out to purchase another one for my cousen for his birthday and a 12 footer ours was an 11! JSC Good post ,and drill instructor iam going to call him and iam sure he will replace at least one maybe, i hear he is a good fellar, but i just love the actoin of a B$M they are second to none when you get a good'un!
This is just my oppoin take it for whats its worth$ JOHN

crappie cowboy
06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I didn't get a chance to call Mr. Wells at BnM today about my two poles breaking, I was with my wife at doctor's visit's all day.
I will give BnM a chance before I say anymore. I know if I was BnM I would want that bit courtesy.

crappie cowboy

talltimber
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I had a new UL break on the BOTTOM half and he made it good. Great customer service. Now, just a word, I wouldn't have quizzed him about the pole breaking if I just threw them around, but I don't. I am pretty particular about my poles. I will use a net with that pole in particular from now on, on a bigger than normal fish(for me). It is an Ultralite after all.

crappiepastor
06-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I've got six BnM polls and love them (10', 11', 12'). I had one where the inset in a guide came out and they replaced it - no problem. I did break one a couple of weeks ago - broke a 10 footer right in half. But then, when a 300 lb. man falls overboard on a pole, its gonna break:D:D

GoneCrappieFishing
06-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I jinxed myself reading this post before I fished today in a tourney.I bought a new B N M this week and it broke in half right in the middle of it. splintered. :(

score300
06-21-2009, 06:14 PM
All I fish with is B'n'M poles. Evidentally I've run into a bad batch of them from Academy sports. So far I've had 3- 12' jig poles break close to the knuckle. I've taken each one back to Academy and they've replaced them without question. Those are the only poles I've had problems with and they were all from the same place within a couple of months. My guess is it was a bad batch. I've considered trying other poles, but I'm happy with B'n'M.

shipahoy41
07-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Bought a Super Sensitive Sam Heaton couple of years ago @BPS in Memphis. Put a jig on it dropped it in, about 11-12 " crappie hit it , set the hook snapped in half. Took it back, gave another one, 8" crappie hit, set hook same thing same place, took it back, told'em I never wanted to see another one. Been using Richard Williams poles, before BM bought him out, no problems, hope RW doen't let BM change his poles

July 19, 2009
Same problem here. Took the one I received from c.c (Sam Heaton Super Sensitive) for the poetry contest to Weiss lake yesterday in the Yellow Creek area. First time it had been in the water and the very first fish shattered the upper part. :mad::mad::mad::mad: I will be contacting them to see what can be done.

ReelfootYankee
07-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Ship please let me know as i didnt folow threw and contact the man!
I just feel funny about doing that some times just me, 4 rod tips!
But i still love the actoin!!!

splitshot
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I should have asked for Jack,,,,,

I had used Wally Marshalls and Pro Anglers with no problems ever. I bought 4 twelve foot Pro Staff Trolling rods from Monk. One of the Pro Staff Trolling rods broke (splintered) in the very first 10 minutes fishing with it on the first fish. I went to the BnM website which was no help in regards to warranty work. I finally located the number and called them to see what I needed to do.

The lady that I talked with made me feel like a little child that was trying to steal candy from her. I said "the heck with this" and counted it as a loss.

rocket rich
07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm all for B&M Can't believe we are having problems with them . I've never broke one in 30 year had problems with the eyes???? Jack took care of it.. But in defense of B&M I don't think the poles are the problem. That said make sure you are using a pole suited for the type of fish that you do??? I've never used 5 oz weight on anything,... I think dragging it would weaken the poles that I use for sure. Crappie Master tcp10... not made to take that kind of pressure. Talk to Jack at B&m and be up front with him. He's good as gold..

shipahoy41
07-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Ship please let me know as i didnt folow threw and contact the man!
I just feel funny about doing that some times just me, 4 rod tips!
But i still love the actoin!!!

Yesterday, July 18, 2009 was the first time I had a chance to take this pole to the lake to actually fish with it. The first crappie that I caught with it shattered the upper part of my rod.

I am hoping that they will be able to make this situation right and replace this rod for me. I hope that they will stand behind their product.

Anyway, I'll try and call Jack Wells, CEO tomorrow.

Don G
07-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Yesterday, July 18, 2009 was the first time I had a chance to take this pole to the lake to actually fish with it. The first crappie that I caught with it shattered the upper part of my rod.

I am hoping that they will be able to make this situation right and replace this rod for me. I hope that they will stand behind their product.

Anyway, I'll try and call Jack Wells, CEO tomorrow.

Ship, you won't have a problem.....Jack takes care of his customers...

shipahoy41
07-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Ship, you won't have a problem.....Jack takes care of his customers...

That is good to know. Thanks.

slabbandit
07-19-2009, 08:34 PM
My rear reel seat that I won on the pet photo contest snapped cleanly in-two right behind where they join on the back half. It was a small crappie and I actually thought that my rod had just came apart.
Can anybody help me with contact info for Jack Wells? I would like to talk with him and see if this has been happening alot being a new product in the line-up and all.
I absolutely loved it up until it broke. Maybe I can get it back in working order soon!:)

shipahoy41
07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
My rear reel seat that I won on the pet photo contest snapped cleanly in-two right behind where they join on the back half. It was a small crappie and I actually thought that my rod had just came apart.
Can anybody help me with contact info for Jack Wells? I would like to talk with him and see if this has been happening alot being a new product in the line-up and all.
I absolutely loved it up until it broke. Maybe I can get it back in working order soon!:)

Jack Wells
1-800-647-6363

fishbaskett
07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
OK, I own a Walley Marshall signature series 10' had it about 5 years bought on sell at BPS in Shreveport. Really used it this spring, several crappie up to 1.5 lbs and some lmb over 16"s some smaller, a channel cat that weighed about 4 lbs, had hooks broke off using 6lb test. No problems. Currently thinking about buying 2 or 3 more poles to do some spider rigging with, I think ya'll just helped me decide on the brand.

shipahoy41
07-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Spoke with Jack Wells. He said it would be made right! That is customer service. Well done.

Fishtaco
07-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I kinda thought that was gonna be Jack's stand on this whole matter. I think they try to run a fair operation there, and I think they also take the short end (broken end?) of the stick more often than they might technically have to. BUT, I'm sold on B'nM if they are willing to keep on keeping on with the make happy stuff.

Now if they can just get that grumpy woman to cheer up a bit and realize that they pole she's replacing ain't coming outta HER paycheck... Sheesh!

The Lip RIPPERS
07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
ANY and all graphite rods can and will break, the B&M's are pretty darn thin walled, if you want the most durable rods look to some of the new ones coming out with blended glass in the tip sections, they may cost more but hold many years more than standard graphite material.

deathb4disco
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
ANY and all graphite rods can and will break,

True, but it seems like jig poles are far more likely to break than other types. I think there is a design flaw in them. As you suggest, fiberglass might be the answer.

chaunc
07-21-2009, 05:09 AM
True, but it seems like jig poles are far more likely to break than other types. I think there is a design flaw in them. As you suggest, fiberglass might be the answer.
I agree with you on the design flaw. Seems some people dont care tho. I just got tired of constantly replacing tip sections or i may have kept using them. (jig poles) Found a diffrent brand that holds up very well to my style of fishing. A little heavier than the BGJP, but serves me well.

shipahoy41
07-21-2009, 06:19 AM
I kinda thought that was gonna be Jack's stand on this whole matter. I think they try to run a fair operation there, and I think they also take the short end (broken end?) of the stick more often than they might technically have to. BUT, I'm sold on B'nM if they are willing to keep on keeping on with the make happy stuff.

Now if they can just get that grumpy woman to cheer up a bit and realize that they pole she's replacing ain't coming outta HER paycheck... Sheesh!

I was impressed with Jack. We must have talked on the phone for about 30 minutes about fishing and people we both know in this industry. Mr. Wells really is a good and decent man and I appreciate his honesty and also his compassion for his customers. He has won me over to B 'n' M.

"G"
07-21-2009, 07:55 AM
You will love it Ship...B'n'M is quality rods...every manufacturer has a defect every now and then. You hear about it more on the B'n'M...but thats understandable....they are the worlds largest...the more rods you got out there...the more thats gonna happen. I keep mine broke down when I am not using them...I keep the rod sections strapped together with some velcro straps and I keep the rod in a rod sock from BPS. I have never had a problem....some of my friends that just keep theirs in the boat or the truck all the time..just throw them around etc. Yep they have had problems. What happens is their rods get banged around or bruised...then they will fracture or break. Any real sensitive graphite rod will bruise easy. Your new rod could have gotten bruised in shipping are in the warehouse or whatever. Treat them right....take care of them and they will last for years.

Mike Andrews
07-21-2009, 08:09 AM
At the risk of high jacking the thread I'd say change rods.

I've got about a dozen Pro Anglers, caught more fish than I can count including green trash fish up to about 4 #'s, know several guys who have caught BIG catfish out of brush piles on 'em and haven't heard of one breaking that wasn't abused somehow.

"G"
07-21-2009, 08:26 AM
At the risk of high jacking the thread I'd say change rods.

I've got about a dozen Pro Anglers, caught more fish than I can count including green trash fish up to about 4 #'s, know several guys who have caught BIG catfish out of brush piles on 'em and haven't heard of one breaking that wasn't abused somehow.

I have done the same as you but with B'n'M rods...have been using them for years without any problems.

shipahoy41
07-21-2009, 10:04 AM
This is what I personally make to keep and transport my more expensive rods in. It is made from 2 inch PVC. Does a great job of protecting my rods.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/RodCase.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/BETTYSRODCASE-1.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/LEVELLSRODCASE.jpg