Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braided Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided Line

I have been through some of the old posts about tying braided line to mono when you spool it on the reel, is it really necessary? will the braided line slip on the spool?
    A Crappie-Day is a Great Day!

Post Thanks / Like

I have spider wire on both of my long poles and a number of my casting poles with no backing and have no problems. Personally.....I wouldn't waste the time on my crappie gear.

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried braded yet. I just moved to Stren mono this year. The previous, I was using Wal-Mart's brand.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-day View Post
    I have been through some of the old posts about tying braided line to mono when you spool it on the reel, is it really necessary? will the braided line slip on the spool?
    I thought that one of the reasons to use mono as a backing was to fill the spool with a less expensive line because braid is kinda expensive, at least thats why I do it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use 100 % braid if you wanted.
    Bwilaub uses braid, it convinced me to try it on my crappie reels after hanging up too many times and trying braid for myself.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I have braid on a couple of my dipping rods, and a couple of my long line trolling rods and I dont use mono, if the line gets short enough to slip well I just put on new braid.

Post Thanks / Like

Braid is great but it does take a little getting use to. Just put however much on your spool that you want and don't worry about anything else, you shouldn't have problems, I've not experienced any. The Berkley fireline is pretty good stuff.

Braid is not the best line for all situations and types of fishing. Just try it out and see what you think.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have always started with mono on the reel to prevent slipping and helps the braid spool more even.
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I spooled braided line, I didn't put any backing, and didn't notice any problems (except that I went through $21 pretty d&#$ quick!!) No slippage, though.

Since then, I've put backing on everything, not only because it's "recommended" but because it's cheaper to do so. Don't know if you need to, but...I do.

Post Thanks / Like

my experience with the braided line is limited to just this year. i only have one pole with 8 pound test 3 pound diameter and it just doesn't seem to catch as many fish as cheap regular old 4 pound test.

i'll give it another year though. it has saved me from having to re-tie hooks though which helps to offset the cost not buying more lures and jigs.
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I use braided line

on all my crappie reels. I mostly vertical jig and don't cast much. I love it and wouldn't use anything else. The sensitivity is so much better you can feel everthing your jig touches and you can get your jig unsnagged most of the time. I had one reel that would not wind in because the line slipped on the spool. Since then I always uses mono for backing to prevent slipping and to keep from needing so much expensive braid on the spool.

Good Luck
    N2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast