Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shenango Lake

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Shenango Lake

If anyone is planning to fish this weekend here, beware that only the campground launch is usable. All others are virtually under water. The campgrounds are also closed down, because of the high water level. Will try to post again when things turn back to more normal conditions. Only the good Lord knows when that will be. Keith

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keith, I went up this morning. Was going to put in at Mahaney launch but when i got there it was closed. Water was way too high to launch. So i went to the campground ramp. Finding the fish was a tough job but i got 13 crappies and a white bass. Fished eight spots to get them. Got about 20 total counting the throwbacks but none bigger than 11"s. As usual, i didn't use livebait. Just jigs and nibbles. Fished my favorite spots. Just had to fish 5 foot deeper than usual. Top 2 colors were white twister on an eighth oz unpainted head and a fin s shad in silver/black on a 1/16 oz head with a #5 splitshot a foot above it. 12ft down in 22ft water. Tried at least 12 colors and these two were the best. Even tried 1/4 oz heads, with 3 inch twisters. Put the boat away for the weekend. I'll wait till the lake comes down some.

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey chaunc, good going. Barring more rain, it should be back down to normal hopefully in another weekend. I hope that you join us at our next KCA outing. It won't be so far away for us. Today was almost 2 hours driving time. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

If work permits me, i'll be at moraine state park. Glad you guys had a good meeting. Too bad you couldn't get on the water tho. Would feel like going to a buffet with a toothache....... looks good, smells great, but..... can't touch that !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still high

I fished shenango lake saturday morning. Water is still 7+ ft higher than summer pool. Wind was blowing pretty hard too. Had to fish a backup spot out of the wind but it produced okay for me. Got 16 keepers, from 9" to 11"s. Fish were a foot above the brush, in 22 ft water. I used 1/4 oz jig, with a yellow/ chartreuse tube jig body, with a crappie nibble. I had to vertical fish the brush using my trolling motor to keep me above it. As soon as i got a hit and reeled the fish in, i had to troll back up to it. The wind wouldn't let me sit on it. Tried anchoring but the wind was dragging me away from the pile. I didn't want the anchor to get caught in it so i just used the troller. Not a bad day but it took a lot of work to get them.