Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing boat carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Default changing boat carpet

might sound like a dumb question to some of you, but how do you go about changing carpet in a boat?? Is it glued down? do you glue down the new one?
    I have no idea on how to go about this any help is appreciated.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

ttt
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check out this link

Google

Google is our friend
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my aluminum boat new as a bare hull and put everything in it myself so I have no experience in re-carpeting...just installing new carpet...

One thing I took in consideration before I installed my carpet was how long I planned to keep my boat....I knew that I was going to keep my boat, probably forever, so I knew that my carpet would need replacing after several years...therefore I tried to plan ahead and make my future re-carpet easier when that time came...

Long story short..I only glued the outside edges....maybe about a 2 inch wide strip of glue....that way I wouldn't have such a mess to clean up when it came time to re-carpet....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTech View Post
    Google

Google is our friend
    thanks that'll help
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

i've recarpeted a couple of aluminum boats and all the sides and floor are screwed or riveted. the boats i did, all the carpeted panels could be removed. the old carpet is glued and it's a little aggravating getting it all off. you'll be able to salvage most of the carpet pieces and then you can use those patterns on the new. it's not a bad job but it does take some time. any kind of floor adhesive paste will work as long as it says it will bond to your material. i don't know if you have plywood or sheet metal.

Post Thanks / Like

When I redid my 18Ft Fisher all the carpet was glued down. We took out every panel and scraped the old carpet off and then used gas to get glue residual off the pieces (all metal for my boat) If your are buying new carpet I used the kits from bass pro and they came with glue. Of course me being the over achiever and all it wasnt nearly enough. So we used indoor/outdoor carpet glue and it worked great. Once tip is have a box of clothes pins hand when you recarpet the pieces. If you have alot of fold under pieces (hatches or even just folding it under the deck pieces for overlap) use the pins to hold it securely in place untill glue sets. this will prevent it coming loose and causing bubbles under the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are 2 good suggestions except my boat isn't wood or metal. It's a 15'bayliner run-about all fiberglass.
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Wannabe, if you are going to try any chemical on your fibreglass do a test on the glass, out of sight and above the water line, just in case there is an unwanted chemical reaction like melting a hole in the side of the boat. Better safe than sorry.
    I'm looking at replacing the pontoon's carpet, wood floor or maybe just paying someone to do it. The older I get the easier it is to pay someone else to do the dirty work. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

make sure you use a waterproof glue. i have seen people use regular carpet glue and when it rained they had problems.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast