Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me to understand please!

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me to understand please!

I read in a lot of places that people use braided lines with a mono leader. The reason they use the mono leader is because the braid is almost impossible to break if you get hung up. The theory is that the leader will break and save you from losing too much line. Now the reason people like the braid is because it is much much stronger for its diameter than mono therefore you wont lose a big fish due to breakage. Does'nt the mono become the weakest link and completely nullify the reason to use braid in the first place????

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You bring up a very good point silverside. Most that use braid I would think use it for it's very limp and sensitve nature. It works great on spinning and baitcasting reels. Line twist is not a problem also. Many including my self use no leader most of the time. I don't change baits a lot so I don't have to retie many times a day. On the other hand my wife likes to change types and colors of bait often. It just quicker for me to tie a new one on with mono so on hers I put a leader. You mentioned the mono leader being the weakest link in the set up. Some use that as you said, to break off easier. A 10 to 20 pound test braid without a leader will let you pull apart a well placed brushpile and disturb the fish and fishing whereas the mono leader will snap and with a quick retie you're back fishing a good bed. In my case I don't fish beds but mostly banks with only scattered structure. If I hang a branch and pull it in, it usually doesn't disturb much of anything and I just continue fishing down the bank. If peoples only concern was not to lose big fish as you mentioned, then they would only use braid or very heavy mono. Braid also has a very long lifespan. I have some reels with braid that is 5 years old and is still doing great. I do cut a few feet off a couple of times a year but thats it. Like most other fishing equipment, braid has its place but is not a cure all. Everyone of us has his own particular likes and dislikes, and our own methods that we use because we think they work for us. That's not saying that another method wouldn't work better but that's the way I do it because it works for me.

Now back to you, do you use braid and how do you use it. Or are you just researching before you buy. You will find many pro and cons and in the end you'll have to make up your mind yourself if it has more advantages over disadvantages in the type of fishing you do.

"gene"
    Last edited by PawPaw Gene; 06-15-2009 at 04:46 AM.
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight Gene. I guess that I was only looking at it from the strength aspect. You bring up good reasons to use the braid with a leader that I had not thought of.
    Yes I do use braid. I have used it on all my bait casters for several years now. I’m primarily bass fishing from a boat with them. If hung, I can take the boat to the snag to keep from losing too much line. I do not use a leader.
    The reason I asked the question was this. My son wanted me to spool up a spinning rod for him. A friend is taking him to a place where 30-40 lb cats are fairly common. First thing I thought of was braid for the large fish. Then I realized that they would be fishing from the bank. If he makes a long cast and gets hung he will lose a whole bunch of line. So then I thought about using braid with a smaller mono leader that would break off. Then I figured that using braid was overkill since the leader would break first anyway. I settled for 15 lb CXX P-Line. I wish that I had went with the braid now that I see the line twist in this heavy mono.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line twist

Get a container of REEL MAJIC----spray on the line---works wonders
    CATCH FILLET

Post Thanks / Like

The reason for the mono leader is so not to spook finacky fish. Some feel that the fish can see the braided line so they put a leader of mono on the end. Bass fishing with lures they tie direct to the braid because the lure is moving and is mostly a re-action bait. It allows them to pull most of the lures free if they snag. If they use a suttle or slower bait like a worm or jig the fish see it for a longer time and will check it out longer and may not take the bait if they see the braided line. The braided line doesn't move in the water as freely as the mono does. Depending on the clarity of the water some use a leader as long as 10 ft or sometimes longer. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Gene is right its your choice. I haven't used braided line yet. I only use Mono. I have heard that braided line over time will cut your guides on your rods. If you use ceramic eyes on your rods it last longer. I here braided line cuts grooves in the eyes, over time and will weeken line. How true I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get used to the feel of the rod when using it. the jig sinks like a rock when using 4lb. fireline, and spiderwire and other braids get fuzzy along the line, and it does,nt take long either. haven't had a problem with cutting the guides tho.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what Gene says, particularly this:

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    A 10 to 20 pound test braid without a leader will let you pull apart a well placed brushpile and disturb the fish and fishing whereas the mono leader will snap and with a quick retie you're back fishing a good bed.

When I use braid, I'm usually in my float tube. So, if I get hung up and try to free the jig, I would pull myself into the structure.

I have been experimenting with braid and light jigs for the last year or so. I use 4# Fireline with about a 3' mono/flouro leader. So far, I'm impressed. I get excellent casting distance with a 1/64 oz jig, and the sensitivity is outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catch fillet View Post
    Get a container of REEL MAJIC----spray on the line---works wonders
    I have heard that stuff really helps. I just went to bridge below the dam in our river. Peeled off line and let it go with current. Took the twists completely out. I was so impressed with the results that I may make it a standard step in respooling spinning reels :D

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't use a mono leader on the reels I have braid, but if the water gets clear and the fish seem to be line shy I do tie on a mono leader. Most of the time though I don't use mono leader on my braid, but also most of my braid is just 10# so it is breakable.

For the first time crappie fishing I have tried some 20# and have not used it enough to say much. I do use a minnow about a jig in the summer some time and last few times out the minnow hook I used got hung and pulled that hook until it bent enough to come free.
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast