Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: definition

Post Thanks / Like

Default definition

What is your definition for "Pattern of the Season" when it refers to crappie fishing? And what are those patterns?

Post Thanks / Like

For me PAtterning Crappie is finding the depth they are located and fishing likely spots at that depth. They have a preferred temp zone, thermocline, find that zone and fish it.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking If only it were that simple ....

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64 View Post
    What is your definition for "Pattern of the Season" when it refers to crappie fishing? And what are those patterns?
    But, "my" definition would be : the method used, bait used, depth fished, & cover type fished, in relation to the prevailing conditions of the water & weather, that best presents that bait to the fish during a particular season.

FOR ME :

Spring is really a three part season - prespawn, spawn, postspawn. For those fish, locations vary & change with the conditions. Generally speaking, I'm casting jigs (95% of the time), so I'm usually working the "known highways" between spawning banks & the closest channel. On certain lakes, I may even be trolling jigs along these routes. I work from deep, to shallow, then back out to deep ... as the fish transition thru the three stages of their spawning ritual. Deep & shallow are relative terms ... depending on the body of water.

Summer - though not a three part season, it does offer three different types of fishing, for me, that have proved to be successful. Early morning to mid morning, I'm casting jigs to shallow timber that's on a shaded bank. Midday to evening ... I'd be fishing deep timber/brush (possibly even with live bait). Night fishing, with minnows/Shad/Silversides, under a light ... usually about half as deep as during the midday hours.

Fall - is a time for dropping a minnow/float down around a standing tree, that's in deep water ... 20-30ft of water, but the minnow is 6-8ft deep. It's also a time for casting jigs to moderate depths of water, around brush piles ... or shooting deep water docks.

Winter - not really much of a cold weather angler, but I have fished on warm days or during warming trends, in the months of Nov-Feb. Even caught Crappie from less than 8ft of water ... off of blowdowns on deep banks, fishing from the shore. However, that doesn't constitute a pattern ... for the simple reason that it was only done a few times, at the same places, over the course of a few years time.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up.