Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cobia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cobia

Had plans to take Kevin & Racheal Meyer Spanish trolling today but the "forecast" had changed enough we had seconds thoughts.....picked him up and drove to Ft Story to see the ocean/bay for ourselves......8am dont look bad....whats its gonna do in 3 hours tho ?

Called Capt_Ben to see what the water was like where he was......he is not on the water, thought he had a charter but dont.....Dennis dont answer his phone to look out the window so we bag the trip ....

An hour later I am headed down to the deadrise to see if Capt Todd is there and maybe tag a few seabass.......talked to Capt_Ben and he says "we are going out for a few hours anyway, why dont you come w/ us".......How can I turn this down ? Fish w/ Ben and the smok'n hot bikini clad 1st mate Crystal ( the one who is REALLY in charge ) ......

Head out to the sight casting grounds and rig up some live bait.........climb up on top nd start looking......3 minutes later Ben plops bait at a 2 foot Cobia.....not interested.....we move on .......right at the boat comes a 50+ pounder.....rolls over and does a lazy dive before a bait could be fired in that direction.......there is a pair of fish right in front of the boat.....no time.....they go under the boat......clouds come out, its raining in the distance.....sun pops out and I see "something" 300 yards way out front of us......closer & closer it comes right at the boat and an eel goes flying threw the air .......fish turns sideways and gulps the bait, rolls over and heads to the bottom.......ITS ON ~~
    I climb down the ladder to the bow and Ben hands me my rod to fight the fish down below... 2, 3 times it runs hard and the drag is smok'n ......Ben climbs down and gets the gaff while super hottie drives the boat.....in one swoop this guy gaff'd and landed my fish at my feet on deck in the boat......40 PLUS POUNDER ~ Put it to sleep and on ice it goes........back up top....4 MORE FISH ....all 50 pounders......we cant get to them so he calls his buddy on the phone and they slip in behind us and hook up on 2 of the fish.....loose one and land one.......then theres a pair off to the left I point at .....another pair to the right that Ben spots ......and a pod of 6 fish that do a star burst dance and dive away from us........7 hours into 3 hour trip

We are going to be back in at NOON so says the mate......its NOW 5 pm and we finally talk her into letting us go home !! What a doll......

She is a trooper & die hard mate for sure........Capt_Ben will be paying dearly for todays trip for sure......

Thanx for taking me along folks ~~

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun-filled day.. For a minute there I thought maybe you had a pic of the first mate holding up a fish...lol........... Congrats on the catches.
    You can't fish with a hung line!