Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: barometer ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default barometer ?

I'm very curious how much of a factor barometric pressure plays in crappie fishing. I read threads on this site pretty closely and I can tell most of you are top notch crappie fishermen (people) and all around good folks, that being said . I wounder how many of you look at what the presser is before going fishing and if so is it a factor in if your going ,or were you are going , or
    how your going to fish. I have a friend that has boated tons of crappie over the years that has always said if the baro is over 30 its going to be tough.
    Personaly I haven't lived or died by the barometer , Ifish when I can fish but I must admit I had some tough days this year and the presser was ^30 . I would like to hear your thoughts on this. THANK YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Default high pressure, moon phase,

i never pay any attention, if i can go i go, heck anyday can be tough, but go no matter what....... i let myself tell me when and when i shouldn't go.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

It does make a difference however I've tried to live by the following philosophy:

"There ain't but one time to go fishin' and that's whenever you can."

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

I go fishing and it don't matter what the barometer says. I bought one from BPS and from what I see. Mark it and the next the next morning if it's moving down the means a better bite. I just enjoy my down time, no fish is O.K.
    Gary
    cork'n crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Granny always said

Never go if it is falling when it was rising was the best but i just go whenever i can!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

been doing this for many years, it matters, but I also know it can be falling on sons creek and rising on turnback creek, same lake, same day, same time, go figure, and go fish when you can, fish gonna bite sometime. I have caught fish after a storm,falling bar. and east wind, all on a wednesday, go figure, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

It matters (or so I hear it does). Like the rest of they guys on here, I go when I can, so it doesn't matter. However, think of it this way. If the barometer is dropping, pressure is dropping. Less pressure in the air, less pressure on the water, so the fish tend to rise in the water column. If the barometer is rising, the pressure is increasing. More pressure inthe air, more pressure on the water so the fish tend to seek deeper water, or drop lower in the water column.
    I've tried to pay attention to my barometer on the Humminbird. If it is continously moving, you can use these general rules. But it never works this way. So, like the rest of them, fish when you can, if they aren't biting, change things up and with any luck you'll find where they are.
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a web link to kinda go over the effects of barometric pressure.

Effects of Barometric Pressure
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

As stated above I also fish when I can, just woundering how folks with more experience than my self looked at it . The ominous scientific factor that I haven't heard much about, or at least great excuse for a bad day.