Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Honda 4 stroke

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Honda 4 stroke

I'm looking at a used 2003 Honda 50 hp 4 stroke that I'm thinking about buying....

Any of you guys have experience with this motor?

I've never owned a Honda or a 4 stroke so any imput good and bad would be appreciated....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same motor and couldnt be happier with it. Have not had one problem out of it

Post Thanks / Like

Well a Honda is a Honda...they are known for reliability in everything they make. I have owned 2 motors neither a Honda. But one was a 4 stroke 9.9 and the other an Evinrude 25hp 2 stroke. Now I know my budies 9.9 2 stroke had more snap than mine which of would be expected, but my 4 stroke was an awesome motor. It was super quiet, super fuel efficient. I only had a 3 gallon tank and I would take several river fishing trips before I would run through 3 gallons. My 2 stroke eats gas but it has the power to move my bigger boat good and is lighter. I love the 2 stroke but the oil and mixing gets old where my old 4 stroke was a fill up and go. Now with that being said in about 5 years when I redo my boat I am going to repower it with a 4 stroke and Honda is going to be one of the brands I will be looking at. I do not think you will have the snap of the 2 stroke which you may miss but the gas mileage will blow your mind. Before I got my 25 2 stroke.. my uncle would always leave me in the dust so to speak... My comeback with that was well eventually your gonna run out of gas and I am going to cruise right by you. I know the 50hp is going to go through more gas than my 9.9 did but the 4 strokes are just awesome an with gas price like they are I cannot wait until I can affor to repower and redo my old boat.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have personal input on Honda motors. I do know they build great stuff. I have owned 2 Yamaha outboards and have had zero trouble with them. Thursday I was at a FLW Fishing bass tournament weigh in on KY Lake and several of the pros who were running new 4 stroke motors were commenting on how the gas mileage was UNREAL compared to the 2 strokes they had been running. Some of the guys were running 70 miles ONE WAY to fish way down into TN on KY Lake so they were burning a bunch of fuel.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I owned a Honda 50HP, 4 stroke for 2 yeays and really loved it and bragged about it often. I think it was a 2003 model. I told several folks that I would never buy another 2 stroke outboard motor. I made the mistake of filling up the fuel tank and it seemed to take a year to burn it out. The 4 stroke is not as powerful out of the hole as a 2 stroke but it did OK. I had it on a 15' AlumaWeld boat and if you had more than 2 people in the boat it took forever to plane out. Just not enough power for me.

Now, enough about the old Honda. I now have a 2007 Evinrude 60HP eTec 2 stroke motor on a 154s Pro Gator crappie boat. I can load the boat with "stuff" and 3 people and it will jump out of the hole. I think it is getting as good as if not better fuel mileage than the Honda.

If I ever get another boat it will definately be another ProGator with an Evinrude eTec motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Honda make a great motor but if u are not a every week fisherman u will hate it because carbs will jell up in about a month if u dont use it. Work with the honda motors several years and that was the only problem youll face.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boatman44 View Post
    Honda make a great motor but if u are not a every week fisherman u will hate it because carbs will jell up in about a month if u dont use it. Work with the honda motors several years and that was the only problem youll face.
    Love my honda 4 stroke. I'm on my second one. Traded my 50 in for a 90. The 50 was great but not enough power for tourney fishing. It was great for every day fishing tho. I needed to get to spots quicker than the other guys and the 50 didn't push fast enough. It was great on gas tho. The 90 gets me there fast. Burns more gas but it's worth the extra power to me.
    If you only fish a few times a month, add some stabil to your gas every fill-up and you wont have a problem with gumming. I put my boat away for 3 months a year and it works for me. No problem in 5 years ownership of the 2 motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy American made.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boatman44 View Post
    I kinda disagree with this because my boat would set at times for 2-3 months and always fired up with no stabilizer in it. Maybe I was lucky but you did work on them so maybe you know more than me.

If you are worried about this though just unplug your fuel line and run all the fuel out of the carb before you load the boat if you know it going to set for any length of time. Or keep some Marine Stabil in your gas. Anyway I will step up maybe to a 30hp over a 25 when I repower but it will be 4 stroke.