Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: OB Waterpump

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OB Waterpump

I have a 1984 Evinrude 40HP. It has hardly any hours on the motor. I'd say less than 75. It has been sitting outside for about 10 years without being started. I suppose that the impeller is trashed. How hard is this to fix? I have been fixing everything on my cars for 35 years so I know my way around a set of wrenches. Is this a big job? I can't imagine that it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Not hard at all, but I advise you to buy a service manual or get specific intructions somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Those little engines are cake. Only thing you might run into is the driveshaft being stuck in the bottom of the powerhead when you go too drop the lower unit. Basicly, remove all the bolts holding the l/u on and undo the shift rod if it has a coupling, not sure on your engine. Have the engine tilted up so the lower unit will slide all the way off, and just slide it out of the midsection. Take the little pump cover off, usually fout bolts, and just slide it up over the shaft. Just be sure to get the key back in the new one. Put some soap in the cover and spin it clockwise over the new impeller as you are putting it back on, this sets the rotation on the impeller. The main thing you want to do is make sure the tube going up goes into the little tower on the pump cover. This is where it sends the water to the engine. Also put a little grease on the shaft splines, only on the side of them, not on top of the shaft. Slide it back up, if it will not go all the way up, just spin the flywheel by hand to line the splines up again.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about your year motor but I had to remove the starter from my '94 to get to the bolt that connects the shift rod under the powerhead....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Silverside, here is some good reading that covers your situation. Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy - iboats Boating Forums
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the advice. I will be starting this project in a couple weeks. With all your help I feel up to the challenge!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    Thanks to all for the advice. I will be starting this project in a couple weeks. With all your help I feel up to the challenge!
    some of them has a bolt under the trim tab so take the trim tab off and check under there also.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an 84 35hp Johnny, Great motor. Never had the first minutes trouble. But yours has been setting for 10 yrs. Some inherent problems arise. But first, there should be an access plate about halfway down the lower unit with 2 screws. Inside is the shift shaft junction. Remove one bolt, separate the sections by removing the lower unit and I always put the bolt back in place to prevent loss. Impeller section is easy, very simple. Grease the impeller to ease installation and check shift shaft and drive shaft seals before re assembly. They're easy to replace at this point. Don't forget to check the prop shaft seal also. I'd bet a dollar the carb needs cleaned from sitting so long, Get a kit and replace the needle and seat in the carb too. A tiny bit of corrosion really hurts this. I bought mine used, and didn't want to have to work at starting it, so I replaced the entire ignition system from the coils to the plugs. Never regretted spending that money for those parts. You could pull start it cold with 2 or 3 pulls, 1/2 pull once warm. I added elec start, but had access to used parts at a real good price. Used that motor for 3 yrs after doing this, with no other repairs. I lived in FL at the time and fresh or salt water it always answered the call. Might sound like a lot of work, but it will be the last time you fool with it for a very long time. While you're sniffin out parts, be a good time to find a spare used prop, always handy and mine was $35. Good luck with the motor. Don't be afraid to holler back if you can't find any used parts, my marine mech in FL has a bunch and is real reasonable.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Skeet...thanks for the help. I have not started yet but plan to very soon. Replacing the seals is a great tip. I had not intended for the boat to sit without being used so the fuel had not been treated. Varnish is sure to be a problem as well as rust in my metal tanks. I noticed that the steering is stuck. Must be rusted up. Probably need to buy new steering cable. Well I can't wait to get started even if it does sound like work
    Last edited by silverside; 06-19-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: i'm dumb