Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Maple Leaf, Slayer, can you help me out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maple Leaf, Slayer, can you help me out?

Or anyone else.
    I took the "Rug Rat" out yesterday eve. and tried around a bunch of different trees in different parts of the lake, I used a few different colors including: Black/chart, red/chart, orange/chart, white/green, pink/pearl. I even tried using some nibbles. I guessed the depth with my anchor rope because I don't have any electric means yet. I varied between 10' to about 20', fished different depths with the jigs, tried casting and letting it drift back at the boat, all of these methods work for me when I am in a new place sooner or later.
    I was wondering if the rain and higher water would have shut them down, but that hasn't seemed to affect the fishing at other places I fish, I at least catch some NoJoes or sunfish or something.
    I did get a couple of tap tap's once with a plain jig/tube and once with the nibbles and only the nibble got bit, no fish.
    I did find a map on the MDC that shows where the channels run and deeper water are, do I need to get away from the trees all together and try some open water along the channels?
    I will figure this lake out, I may not get the 2 lbers like Slayer, but I will make this a productive place close to home to take the boat.
    And Slayer, I don't expect your honey holes, just some advice on this lake, Please,Please,Please???
    Quinn
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

well man slayer is about the only one that i know of that has great success on that lake... its def a different lake to fish... spider riggin is the only way to catch fish out there, brite jigs, and nibbles are a must for some reason, i aint been out there in prob a couple weeks so i really dont have any depth info... so i wish i could help a little more but all i know is wat slayer tought me so good luck

Post Thanks / Like

hey quinn, sorry have'nt been on in a few day's. maple leaf is a tuff lake to fish. i have'nt been out there since they treated it for algea. that lake is just finicky. i get skunked lot's...but get'n better after putting in 1000's of hour's. what i have kind of figured out. bright color's, my favorite is silver flake head with a hot pink tail tube jig tipped with a nibble of course. don't waste your time in the very back's of those cove's. unless your bass fishing. what i notice about that lake particular is that other fisher's alway's seem to be fishing right were the center of the trees is right up on it. those trees out there are huge in circumference and have a bazillion limb's that branch off. DO NOT be afraid to fish 10-15 feet out from the tree's. there is still plenty of bark to get hung up on. unless i am fishing the dam, VERTICAL fishing is the only way to get down a way's on those tree's. and i mean any tree out there, and i mean straight up and down. in the summer i usually concentrate on fishing the tree's in 25-30 feet only. and depth's of fish vary's. in the summer 6 inche's off the bottom is usually better. but tough to get a crappie all the way to the boat cuz of the limb's. and as alway's i think, at least for me is confidence, concentration, and presentation. and practicing with a 10 jig pole. hope this help's a bit, it's a tough lake, that's for sure, but got some nice crappie. good luck! if i get out there anytime soon i will let you know how i do.
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, you guys give me something to go on.
    You ain't kidding VERTICAL, I was snagging every time my jig moved sideways
    If I have any luck, I will definitely share it with you.
    I'll let you know what happens next time.
    Thanks Quinn
    PS What ever they did helped the algae problem some, still lots of that snot grass on all of the limbs of the trees, but the bank was a lot cleaner than before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER View Post
    i'm a sorry, it's tuff i tell ya, well for some, i'm by far not trying to sound cocky, but on that lake inparticular. i have found that the more successful fishing trip's have been when i fish hard, hard, hard. and what i mean by that is if i'm on that lake i'm not lollygagging around doing anything else but trying to find crappie. i notice i don't munch on food much, may have one coke, don't smoke as much, it's weird i know but i devote all my energy and time trying to figure the pattern out that particular day. and i fish that lake a lot by myself, i find it's much easier as only one person can get hung up at a time, and you gotta be VERY stealthlike with the trolling motor. those fish seem to spook so so easy at anytime. i don't know what it is but maple leaf crappie just seem to have different habit's than most crappie. i have talked to the conservation agent out there and he has been fishing it since it opened and he has "concurred" on the theory's i just stated. heck i dont know, but i will this week i hope:D
    Not sounding cocky to me, it makes very good sense. I like to have company when I fish, but if I'm on a mission so to speak, it is better on your own, go where and when you want. I to tend so smoke allot less most times I fish.
    I think the "stealth" thing was allot of my problem that day, I don't have the trolling motor and would try to shut down and drift into the trees, now what you have said about them being so wide, I probably could have stayed back allot further before dropping an anchor.
    But like I said, "I WILL figure this lake out" (now I'm sounding cocky )
    Good luck this week if you get the chance.