Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: More J&J Habitat issues.....haha

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More J&J Habitat issues.....haha

Well, I put out the remainder habitat this morning. I made some bad decisions, so I thought I would share. I placed wood in the top 3 branches of the big habitat and capped the ends of the "branches" with 1 inch end caps. I had a lot of quick crete in the main 3 inch tube, so I thought it would sink easily. Wrong. It just floated with about 6 inches sticking out of the water. Looked like a giant waterbug. haha. I had Honey helping, so it was a 3 ring circus. We finally got the "tree" back aboard the pontoon. Well, here is what not to do. Don't cap off any habitat limbs. If you do, they don't sink easily. I had to strap ( with plastic tie wraps) an old window weight to the bottom of the habitat to get it to sink. That is about 10 pounds of weight I had to add to get the habitat to sink. I know, I put metal in the river. Shame on me. But, it is bio-degradable. The "tree" still sank slowly, even with the extra weight. Don't use caps. Also, leave the top cap of the habitat off. It sinks easily if the big tube fills with water.

Let me repeat here. I placed the wood inside the limbs so I could find the "trees". Plastic real hard to find with sonar. I could care less if someone else finds the stuff. I put enough stuff out that they can't find it all. haha.

The green "tree" I set out last weekend is now holding fish. I kinda thought it would. I placed it where an old brushpile resided for years. Not much left of the old brushpile but a lump.

Good stuff here Chef. I will be buying some of these buggers, but not 'til it cools down. Too dang hot to put stuff out and I am too lazy to drill and cut all those holes. LOL.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom:

How about drilling a small hole in the cap so the air can get out and water can get in?
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Well, I put out the remainder habitat this morning. I made some bad decisions, so I thought I would share. I placed wood in the top 3 branches of the big habitat and capped the ends of the "branches" with 1 inch end caps. I had a lot of quick crete in the main 3 inch tube, so I thought it would sink easily. Wrong. It just floated with about 6 inches sticking out of the water. Looked like a giant waterbug. haha. I had Honey helping, so it was a 3 ring circus. We finally got the "tree" back aboard the pontoon. Well, here is what not to do. Don't cap off any habitat limbs. If you do, they don't sink easily. I had to strap ( with plastic tie wraps) an old window weight to the bottom of the habitat to get it to sink. That is about 10 pounds of weight I had to add to get the habitat to sink. I know, I put metal in the river. Shame on me. But, it is bio-degradable. The "tree" still sank slowly, even with the extra weight. Don't use caps. Also, leave the top cap of the habitat off. It sinks easily if the big tube fills with water.

Let me repeat here. I placed the wood inside the limbs so I could find the "trees". Plastic real hard to find with sonar. I could care less if someone else finds the stuff. I put enough stuff out that they can't find it all. haha.

The green "tree" I set out last weekend is now holding fish. I kinda thought it would. I placed it where an old brushpile resided for years. Not much left of the old brushpile but a lump.

Good stuff here Chef. I will be buying some of these buggers, but not 'til it cools down. Too dang hot to put stuff out and I am too lazy to drill and cut all those holes. LOL.

CANE POLE

WHEN WE FIRST STARTED OUT WE SUPPLIED TWO CAPS, THE BOTTOM
    ONE WAS FUNCTIONAL, THE TOP ONE WAS FOR LOOKS. AFTER A WHILE
    WE FIGURED OUT IF WE LEFT OFF THE TOP CAP, THE THING WOULD SINK
    A LOT EASIER. I HATED TO DO IT BECAUSE WE RAN COPIES OF A BUNCH
    OF BROCHCURES THAT SHOWED TWO CAPS, BUT WE FIGURED WE WERE'NT
    DOING THE FISHERMAN A FAVOR IF WE SUPPLIED THE CAPS AND THEY MADE
    OUR ATTRACTORS NOT WORK AS WELL AS THEY SHOULD. I'M NOT SURE
    HOW YOU GOT A SECOND CAP, IT WAS PROBABLY A MISTAKE ON MY
    PART, BUT THEY WORK BEST WITHOUT A TOP CAP.

BEST REGARDS
    CHEF
    Last edited by chef; 09-11-2005 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom, If you have anything else you want put in the water, get it lined up and I will sink it while I am up there next week.

Post Thanks / Like

i put a bunch of rocks in mine...threw it out and it layed there sideways in the water....i got it back in the boat took a pocket knife and slit the top cap...sank fine the second release...havent fished it yet been out for about a month...will fish it in the morning and let you all know the results...

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY

Post Thanks / Like

learned a valuable lesson.....took my weinie dog out fishing with me to check the habitat....i was easing up to it paddling very quietly when all the sudden....sploooooooooooosh....i turn around and no dog in sight....he finally came up with eyes as big as saucers splishin and splashin i reach for him and he goes under again (if this dog drowns i will have to move) he comes back up again and heads away from the boat towards some cypress trees...he quickly figured out he couldnt climb it and started back to me...i scooped him up with a net (lol) and got him in the boat and headed home....will give it another week or two and try again( without the dog...lol)

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hogfaninla
    learned a valuable lesson.....took my weinie dog out fishing with me to check the habitat....i was easing up to it paddling very quietly when all the sudden....sploooooooooooosh....i turn around and no dog in sight....he finally came up with eyes as big as saucers splishin and splashin i reach for him and he goes under again (if this dog drowns i will have to move) he comes back up again and heads away from the boat towards some cypress trees...he quickly figured out he couldnt climb it and started back to me...i scooped him up with a net (lol) and got him in the boat and headed home....will give it another week or two and try again( without the dog...lol)
    I had a Dobie that I used to take out. Everytime the boat stopped, in he would go. Dang dog loved the water. I miss him. He jumped offf the boatdock all the time. One time he jumped into the brushpiles. I had to go rescue him. Honey and I were cut up from claw marks from trying to get him out of the brush. Crazy dog.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"