Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: West Texas New Forum Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default West Texas New Forum Member

I am new to the Forum and just wanted to say HI from Abilene, Texas. I fish several lakes in and around Abilene, those mainly being Millers Creek, Stamford, Ft. Phantom Hill, Hubbard Creek and Brownwood. With gas prices it is mainly around Abilene at the moment. If you are in the area, I will try and help with any information I can provide.

Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ft Phantom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Mud-Dabber
    I am new to the Forum and just wanted to say HI from Abilene, Texas. I fish several lakes in and around Abilene, those mainly being Millers Creek, Stamford, Ft. Phantom Hill, Hubbard Creek and Brownwood. With gas prices it is mainly around Abilene at the moment. If you are in the area, I will try and help with any information I can provide.

Mud-Dabber
    The Wife and I just bought a house to retire to close to Ft Phantom Hill Lake. To my surprise, there are no good maps of the lake, only a city map. If you know of one, would you contact me? I hope to see you there in a few months after we get moved in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blankace
    The Wife and I just bought a house to retire to close to Ft Phantom Hill Lake. To my surprise, there are no good maps of the lake, only a city map. If you know of one, would you contact me? I hope to see you there in a few months after we get moved in.

blankace
    there are not any commercial maps of Phantom that show contour depths etc. i have not came across any type of map other than a general map like in a travel map. there is a possibility the local TP&W might have some type of map of the lake. sorry I can not help more. let me know when you get here and we can meet and talk fishing. we had a big flood up at lake stamford several weeks ago and drove most people out of there homes with flood waters over the roof, but did not affect Phantom.
    Mud-Dabber

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

here is one i was told about. good luck
    http://www.terraserver-usa.com/usgse...135&Y=1126&W=3

BIG LEO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bella
    here is one i was told about. good luck
    http://www.terraserver-usa.com/usgse...135&Y=1126&W=3
    Blankace and Bella:
    You will find the majority of the deeper water on the EAST side at Phantom until you get in the Northern 1/3 of the lake. The deep water runs toward the Johnson Park area where there is a bluff area and then takes off toward the Dam. I don't know if you guys are aware, but the lake was down almost 22 feet three years ago and has suffered from drought conditions from 1999-2004. If I can help you in any way just let me know. The lake has had its problems with getting a good spawn off for several years in a row, but there are definitely fish to catch. The best lake in the Abilene area this last year for a crappie spawn was just outside and east of Abilene at a lake called Lake Kirby. Now full, it went completely dry in 2001, but was restocked with netted fish from other lakes by TP&W and it had a tremendous spawn early in 2005. Fish were being caught as early as Feb. until the end of March while all the other lakes were still waiting to warm up.

Mud-Dabber

Central Tx. West of Brownwood in the sticks
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey blankace ever play 42. with a handle like that it would seem probable
    have a good`un heycods