Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recharging batteries for your GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default recharging batteries for your GPS

I went fishing with a buddy of mine a few weeks ago and it was pretty dark when we came back in. He runs up and gets the truck and when he swings it around to back it down there's a couple of glowing objects in the bed of it. I asked him what all that was and he laughed and said that it was a new project he was going to work on.

He said his GPS sometimes runs out of batteries during the day when he's using it and somebody told him about taking the solar receptors and chargers off of those solar yard lights and using them to recharge your AA batteries. You can take them apart to access the batteries which are most likely AA's anyway and you just take 2 sets of them with you. Use one set while letting the other recharge. I thought it was a great idea...

Mike

Edit: I think there's only 1 battery in a solar light charging head so you may need to make two of these to recharge a pair of batteries.
    Last edited by MikeA57; 06-11-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default these type units are handy too

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh yes, but you don't have to carry an inverter onboard with the solar recharger - just throw it out on the deck and let the sun do the rest - as long as it's sunny of course!!! Plus, you've probably got some of those path lights lying around that your wife HAD to have and now after a year they're old, broken and dirty so it's time for something NEWWWWWWW!!! :D:D
    Last edited by MikeA57; 06-12-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA57 View Post
    Ahh yes, but you don't have to carry an inverter onboard with the solar recharger - just throw it out on the deck and let the sun do the rest - as long as it's sunny of course!!! Plus, you've probably got some of those path lights lying around that your wife HAD to have and now after a year they're old, broken and dirty so it's time for something NEWWWWWWW!!! :D:D
    You don't need an inverter, just use the battery adapter. You can charge ac/dc.

Post Thanks / Like

I can buy a pack of 8 AAs for about $6.00 and that pack will last me a long, long time. I expend two AAs about every four or five trips. Is is really worth all the extra hassle?

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    I can buy a pack of 8 AAs for about $6.00 and that pack will last me a long, long time. I expend two AAs about every four or five trips. Is is really worth all the extra hassle?

aj
    You not green. :rolleyes:

I use rechargeables in my GPS, can opener, cameras, my genuine all purpose Black and Decker screwdriver, wireless keyboards, wireless mouses, TV remotes etc. f

I am frugal.....

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

This setup should work fine with NiCads but could kill NiMHs. If your GPS is like mine (GPSMap76CX), 10 hours of fishing will kill a set of batteries rated above 2500 mAh. I don't remember seeing NiCads with anywhere near that capacity, so very likely you are using NiMHs.

If you leave the batteries in the solar heads on a series of cloudy days, the lights will drain more power at night than the solar cells replace during cloudy days. If you're using NiCads, then the worst case is finding the batteries fully discharged. NiCads are designed to be fully discharged without damage. NiMHs, on the other hand, will be permanently damaged if the lights drain them completely.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

some pretty good info I guess. Steve's Digicams - Rechargeable Battery Information
    I have gotten me some of the low discharge batteries for my stuff so I don't have to worry about them if they are not used in a long time. So far so good.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

My GPS has an adapter to plug into a 12 volt accesory outlet (cigarette outlet). I dont need no stinking AA.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If the GPS internal batteries die while using and needing it, in the boat say, can you plug it in and re-charge it quickly enough to continue using it? Not quite sure about this, but, I find it fairly easy to stick fresh batteries in when it dies?
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast