Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: spoons, rooster tails

Post Thanks / Like

Default spoons, rooster tails

when you fish spoons and rooster tails or you suppose to use a swivel with them to keep line from getting twisted? when is the best time to fish spoons?

Post Thanks / Like

If you use roostertails try some Vibric Roostertails, hard to find in my area but worth it. They have a unique body that is made offset and they don't twist your line, with a inline blade, they are fish catching machines!

Post Thanks / Like

Default magazine article

Never personally used spoons yet, but I did read an article and it said any time verticle jigging is productive spoons can work. Mainly a deep water verticle jigging thing according to what I have read.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    Never personally used spoons yet, but I did read an article and it said any time verticle jigging is productive spoons can work. Mainly a deep water verticle jigging thing according to what I have read.
    so you don't cast them and let them fall to what depth you want them and start reeling in slow?

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever used a duo lock snap and never had any problems.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I have had twisting problems with my line after a couple months worth of casting rooster tails with just a snap swivel.

It took a couple of months of heavy usage to do it but my line started to get tight spirals in it, too tight to be from the spool. I have started to try to use a foot long leader with just a swivel to snap into the snap swivel to try to remedy the line twist.

It's annoying to pay for higher quality line and have it ruined after a couple months. I was using the same line on two different rods one I had set up for bait fishing and the other was my rod for spinners and the spinner setup started to get those tight twists in it. I am slowly starting to switch my spools over to braid though as I really like how it casts and has no memory but mono and fluorocarbon still have their place on a couple of my setups.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TN. WATERSHED View Post
    so you don't cast them and let them fall to what depth you want them and start reeling in slow?
    You know to be honest the article I read didn't cover that it was strictly vertical jigging. I wondered that myself, or even long line trolling one. I just haven't got around to trying it out. Wish I could be of more help, God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink In-line spinners ....

... with round line eyes, will twist your line. Snap swivels are good for quick changes, but do nothing to reduce line twist. Even Sampo Ball Bearing swivels are hard pressed to keep line twist to a minimum, when using in-line spinners.

There is a tried & true in-line spinner that shouldn't twist line as bad as those with a round line eye ... it has an offset shaped line eye. It's called a "Shyster", and is currently owned/made by Luhr Jensen : Brannan's Bass Shop - 1-800-725-3422 or 903-732-3422

.. cp

Post Thanks / Like

YES IT IS good to use a good snap swivel on spoons when jigging or casting and retriving, I always take pliers and crimp the snap shut because i have had them pop open on a good fish.

You can cast spoons out and hop them back but when you hop one take a quick turn on the reel at the top of the upswing and follow the spoon down on a semi tight line the fish will tap it on the fall. But dont hold it so tight as to stop the natural flutter of the spoon

also you can cast them into a bunch of fish schooling on surface and just reel it in slowly through them,